Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal County Council:Affordable Housing houses on Satuday 19th May

Options
  • 17-05-2007 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Am I reading this right and listen to the radio that affordable housing is going on offer on Saturday in Ongar. So what the point being in a draw or being on a list. Whats the point in saying affordable housing if its a free far all Saturday morning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Because we're too 'poor' to afford a place and anyone with enough money(high earners) can jump the queue over others in more need and the council will get their money.

Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Yeah really annoys me and what annoys me more is I have been on the waiting list nigh on a year now and I got no notification of this scheme.
    I rang yesterday and they said the banks are financing the mortgages and will lend u 4.5 times your salary - the cheapest house is 245K so according to my scabby salary I would need a deposit of €64K to make up the difference.

Afforable for who eh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Free for all on Saturday -I predict a riot:eek:

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    Yeah really annoys me and what annoys me more is I have been on the waiting list nigh on a year now and I got no notification of this scheme.
    I rang yesterday and they said the banks are financing the mortgages and will lend u 4.5 times your salary - the cheapest house is 245K so according to my scabby salary I would need a deposit of €64K to make up the difference.

Afforable for who eh ?

And the thing is, those on a much higher salary don't have to save up a big deposit like us average wage workers.

We have to scrimp and save minimum 700 a month and yet anyone can just turn up on Sat on high wages(60k for example) and get a council place without a record of proper savings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭babytooth

will people here relax....

whats this obsession to part with your hard money as quickly as possible.

The reason that all these houses are being offered is that the developer can't sell them, plain and simple....

2 estates in maynooth aren't selling for phase 2 and 3 respectively.
    2 estates in kilcock are the same.

Builders will slowly drop prices.

Wait and bide your time, prices are dropping, slowly, but wait and bide your time until you have savings and earning a decent wage and all the time prices are decreasing, Be patient, it will pay off...and don't be confused by the small and short lived rally after the election.

Labour and FG could get in, if not it could be FF and Labout, either ways this political hot potato will be addressed and prices will drop.

Buy at your own peril.

• Advertisement

I'm relaxed babytooth, as i've stated before i have no intention to buy this year in either main market or an affordable due to bubble.
    We are just peaved at how council can treat people based on how much they earn rather than their needs.
    Wealthier people are getting conned by buying at the peak of a bubble anyway.

gurramok wrote:
    I'm relaxed babytooth, as i've stated before i have no intention to buy this year in either main market or an affordable due to bubble.
    We are just peaved at how council can treat people based on how much they earn rather than their needs.
    Wealthier people are getting conned by buying at the peak of a bubble anyway.

well what other democratic way can they allocate houses.

can i get a car cheaper than you because i need it more to travel to work, No, i pay what the makret decides is the price. Same with houses.

And, look at it this way, the more the "richer" people pay now, the more equalised it will be in the future, they may be risher, but they will be paying alot more for the same thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

babytooth wrote:

can i get a car cheaper than you because i need it more to travel to work, No, i pay what the makret decides is the price. Same with houses.

And, look at it this way, the more the "richer" people pay now, the more equalised it will be in the future, they may be risher, but they will be paying alot more for the same thing...

Providing you can hold on to your job after the sky falls in...

babytooth wrote:

Housing is a natural right, you cannot live in a car!

Rich people do not need council assisted housing, the poor need it more as they cannot afford it and there is alot more poor(earn avg wage+under) than rich in our society.

gurramok wrote:
    Housing is a natural right, you cannot live in a car!

Rich people do not need council assisted housing, the poor need it more as they cannot afford it and there is alot more poor(earn avg wage+under) than rich in our society.

i disagree, i don't see why housing, in the terms of referrence most ppl apply, as bieng a natural right.

Why should it be.

Ppl should have access to warmth, heat and a dry place to put their head, and on a whole that is what we have.

Ppl do not have undeniable right to purchase their own 3 bed semi d 5 minutes walk to the train and beisde a major centre of employment.

You get what you can pay for. You have the choice to pay for a rented accommodation or pay a mortage to purchase a house. At the moment you get more paying for a rental, but thats at the moment.

To say anyone has the right to own a house is infantile, childish, naive and flawed. Communisim doesn't work, human nature is what it is.

• Advertisement

To clarify...I should have had said ownership is not a right, housing need is a right.
    Rental accomodation is not always desirable due to bad state of properties let out to the poorest in society plus lack of tenant rights.
    Btw, chucking poor people on rent allowance into accomodation is costing the taxpayer a fortune(around €400m last yr), better to get them either on social or affordable housing so they can take pride in the place they own and make a better standard of living.
    Hence my rant about whats happening on Saturday! :)

gurramok wrote:
    To clarify...I should have had said ownership is not a right, housing need is a right.
    Rental accomodation is not always desirable due to bad state of properties let out to the poorest in society plus lack of tenant rights.
    Btw, chucking poor people on rent allowance into accomodation is costing the taxpayer a fortune(around €400m last yr), better to get them either on social or affordable housing so they can take pride in the place they own and make a better standard of living.
    Hence my rant about whats happening on Saturday! :)

with you on this one, the thing is that even these "affordable" houses are over priced, hence why there is a minimum salary requirement.

If the whole system was set up better with higher density housing but larger unit floor area would save alot of hassle...

but that would make common sense and would only do what every other city in the world has done, used thier heads and optimised the air space....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Now they are not over priced they are under priced thus what makes them affordable.

Housing is a right,ownership is not and if someone wants to own a house they should have to make the sacrifices involved in doing so.

"Btw, chucking poor people on rent allowance into accomodation is costing the taxpayer a fortune(around €400m last yr), better to get them either on social or affordable housing so they can take pride in the place they own and make a better standard of living."

If they are poor they obviously can not afford a mortgage and a house,alot of these people do have the choice to go get jobs and pay their own way in society and stop using up our valuable tax money which could be gonig to help those that really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

babytooth wrote:
    will people here relax....

whats this obsession to part with your hard money as quickly as possible.

The reason that all these houses are being offered is that the developer can't sell them, plain and simple....

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

jdivision wrote:
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

ya think,....

i think you'l find that your wrong, that the houses being sold under this are not the creme, the devoper will ususally chose to make a contribution for the hosue if the market is rising, he can make his payment, and sit for a month or two, the market rises and he can seel for an increase profit.

Also, buying in a high concentration social and affordable housing lowers the sale price, why buy at normal price but buy instead at reduced price.

You may say they are affordable, just beasue they have been reduced from way way over priced to just way over priced....smell the coffee....but then i suppose, the majority of irish people are blinded by the bulls£!t being fed to them...

"The madness of crowds"

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hey my friend is at the site at the moment he is 3rd in the que, fingers crossed its not to bad weather tonite.:p

babytooth wrote:
    ya think,....

i think you'l find that your wrong, that the houses being sold under this are not the creme, the devoper will ususally chose to make a contribution for the hosue if the market is rising, he can make his payment, and sit for a month or two, the market rises and he can seel for an increase profit.

The houses that were sold there were bought at full market price from Seamus Ross by a second developer who then swapped them for Broc House in Donnybrook. So yes you're wrong and yes you don't know what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

jdivision wrote:
    The houses that were sold there were bought at full market price from Seamus Ross by a second developer who then swapped them for Broc House in Donnybrook. So yes you're wrong and yes you don't know what you're talking about.

both wrong, the site was sold by Seamus Ross to a developer and built on by Liberty homes who then excahnged them at discount prices for Broc House.

;-)

Madong wrote:
    both wrong, the site was sold by Seamus Ross to a developer and built on by Liberty homes who then excahnged them at discount prices for Broc House.

;-)
    No Liberty bought the houses from Seamus Ross. The houses were under construction when they bought them and presumably that's why there was a few months/a year before they came to the market. They didn't buy a site as such, so they bought houses which they then swapped for Broc House.

I love to know the source of your info, but the only invlovelment on site by Seamas Ross (aka Menolly Homes) was the planning application, he never turned a sod on it! flogged it to Liberty Homes who have been the only contractor on site! EVER.

• Advertisement

Let's just say I originally thought the same as you but was corrected by one of the people involved.

well go back to your source and tell him he is wrong as the commencement notice was lodged in the name Liberty Homes! ;-) call Fingal they will tell you that, and all the neighbouring residents........

This is pointless. I told you my understanding of the situation. Yours differs. Let's move on.

its not pointless, you stated to me and one other that they were wrong, aceept you are please....... or prove otherwise, its an open forum of opinions! and fact was relayed to you in a non dominering fashion.

it would be nice to apologise to texas star and me ;-)

Madong wrote:
    its not pointless, you stated to me and one other that they were wrong, aceept you are please....... or prove otherwise, its an open forum of opinions! and fact was relayed to you in a non dominering fashion.

it would be nice to apologise to texas star and me ;-)
    *Sigh* My source is one of the people who was involved in the deal so I'm not going to say I'm wrong. It's my job to know these things. And I don't know why you're asking me to apologise to texas star. There are stamp duty benefits to structuring deals in a certain way, perhaps that's why Liberty's name is on the commencement cert.

jdivision wrote:
    *Sigh* My source is one of the people who was involved in the deal so I'm not going to say I'm wrong. It's my job to know these things. And I don't know why you're asking me to apologise to texas star. There are stamp duty benefits to structuring deals in a certain way, perhaps that's why Liberty's name is on the commencement cert.

double sigh**

Well you've done your job wrong, there is a number of parties to the deal, and again you stated Menolly started on site and Liberty bought houses from them, which was wrong, the site may or may not have been constructed under licence from Menolly to avoid stamp, but the fundamentals of your arguement are wrong! and you've been pulled us up on this!

guess you need to speak to your source again as Liberty have been on site since day one.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Busterpuss

I for one phoned up when I saw this advert in the Metro. I phoned because I have as yet not made my application for affordable housing so I wanted to see if i was eligible she told me that i could indeed go down without having made my application and i could fill it out down there but she then asked me was i earning between 40 - 65k i announced i was not thinking this was great and she then told me that i wouldnt be eligible for this particular scheme as it was being aimed at young families and couples who were within this salary bracket. I hope this might answer some of your questions

Advertisement