Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic coupe 1.6 VTI

Options
  • 16-05-2007 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey,

I'm changing the car over the summer and these caught my eye.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Would ye recommend them or advise to run away as fast as possible?

I am thinking of travelling to England as they seem cheaper over there.

Civic 1

Civic 2

Civic 3

I am also open to any alternatives people recommend.

Thanks

Lt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Ive never owned a civic coupe but ive had two hondas with the very same engine in the past as well as an integra. Bullit proof engine, faster than 90% of most of the lukewarm/warm/semihot hatches out there nowadays, cheaper to run than them too(easy to get 30mpg+). Parts for the civic are easily gotten and cheap and its cheap to tax and insure being a 1.6 aswell. Overall there are very few cars for the price and niche than can compare to them for the younger driver. They really are a car to put the bigger saloons out there to shame, go for it!

Hva e alook on the uk sites (hondarevolutions is a ghood one) for buying advice there are a few niggly small issues that are easily spotted once you know what to look for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

cracking little car - had one and loved it. much nice looking than the h/b version imho.

reliable as hell, nippy, reasonably economical, cheap to service..... and on and on.

the only downside is that they get a bit noisey/rattley in the cabin.

you wont be dissapointed if you get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

love the colour of the blue one btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Go for the lower mileage ones as once they hit 100k miles they take a nose dive in value (like most petrol cars).

I had a 1997 1.6i LS Coupe, black, in 2001, and it was a rare car then. There seem to be loads on the roads here now, and they're mostly VTIs (aka UK imports as Honda never sold them here).

Still tho, as bo-bo and cpoh1 said, go for it. Plenty of poke, and probably the best looking car in its class. Much nicer and more desireable than the hatchback.

American built, but that doesn't make any difference. They're up to Japanese-built standard.

A few rattles in the cabin, but there have been TSBs about most of them, and they're easily cured (except the rear parcel shelf which is an absolute cnut to fix (it squeaks against the rear window)).

The blue one is gone btw.

VRT doesn't seem to bad @ €1750 or so on a 1999. You should land one all in for under €8k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

@OP - Does it have to be a vti? Ive a 1999 black 1.6i Ls with only 59000miles on it, nct`d til Dec 2008, they all have the same spec as the vti`s inside, air/con, sunroof/ centre armrest / e/lwindows, heated mirrors, etc...
    My car is standard enginewise, has the Si spoiler thats off the american newer coupe and 15" alloys, genuine honda jdm foglights, thats pretty much it. Has some service history and oil changed every 6000miles without fail. New front brake pads about 1500miles ago.

There a nice car to drive by the way, but im biased :D

Im looking around E6700ish ono considering the mileage, nct, and the fact its a genuine civic and not a boy racer mobile :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Go for it!

This time last year i spent a few months looking for one and they were like hens teeth,i specifically wanted a supersonic blue one but there even harder again to find.I ended up going and looking at 2 of them but unfortunatly they were crusting with rust.

Most uk import civics will be prone to rusty bolts ect but for some reason the coupes always seem to be abit worse.

The only complaint i have about them is the rear end is abit twitchy on corners,its not so much it pops out but more so feels wobbly.

Also if you can look for one with black interior,most of them have a grey/blue which looks abit gick compared to the black/blue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Nuttzy wrote:
    @OP - Does it have to be a vti?
    In fairness Nuttzy, the induction sound alone, and especially the way it changes at ~5500rpm makes the extra money for a DOHC VTEC worth it!

Advertisement