Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQ] advice on HP dv2500 Series Notebook

Options
  • 16-05-2007 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I was hoping to get some opinions on a new laptop I’m eyeing up. It’s the HP dv2530ea and it works out about €1200 on www.laptopsdirect.ie and www.cclonline.ie. It’s a bit more (€150-200) than I had intended to spend, but there are some really cool extras that I feel that extra money is going towards, such as a built-in webcam and microphone, bluetooth, remote control, lightscribe DVD writer (which lets you burn monochrome images onto discs) and the general styling, which stirs my loins…

Anyway, some questions! For arguments sake, I’m going to guess the general spec is worth about €1000, excluding the bells and whistles and that's how I've made my comparison with other options...

1) The laptop has the Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.8 GHz) processor. I understand this is the new “Santa Rosa” generation of chips. Should this be a major factor in my choice given there are laptops available in the €1000 range that have the T7200 chip [like this Tosh] – 2GHz, but not the new platform?

2) I noticed another thread in which 1 or 2 posters had low opinions of the HP reliability. Do a lot of people share this? I worked in PC World part-time as an undergrad and HP were among the more reliable brands IIRC.

To clarify aswell, my cheaper, non-treating myself options are :

This ASUS (Core 2 Duo 1.66, 2GB RAM, 120GB, 2yr Warranty) which is €900 with the extra RAM
    Or the above Toshiba (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 1GB RAM, 100 GB) which is €950 or so.

I guess I’ve really sold myself, but I’d appreciate any comments about anything I might have missed.

By the way, does anyone have any opinons about either of the 2 online retailers I mentioned above? I rang PC World and they don’t have this model, so it looks like I’d have to go online.

Thanks in advance by the way, I realise giving advice about stuff like this is pretty much a 1-way deal in terms of gratification!

Cheers,
    Niall

Advertisement