Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - The 49/A from Tallaght

Options
  • 16-05-2007 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,

Moving back to Ireland and got myself a job in Tallaght. I'm looking at getting the 49/A from the Square to and from work and was wondering how long this takes at peak times (7.45 and 5.30)?

Does anyone have an idea? Looking to be getting off around the canal probably before Clanbrassil Street as I'm looking to live Rathmines/Portobello area. The Dublin Bus site (http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey...r.asp?route=49) says it takes altogether 65 minutes but I'd like a real perspective on this!, I still remember Dublin traffic!.

Apart from this, is there any other way to get to that area quicker. The Luas doesn't within walking distance to it.

Any help really appreciated...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

PalerPaul wrote:
    Hi,

Moving back to Ireland and got myself a job in Tallaght. I'm looking at getting the 49/A from the Square to and from work and was wondering how long this takes at peak times (7.45 and 5.30)?

Does anyone have an idea? Looking to be getting off around the canal probably before Clanbrassil Street as I'm looking to live Rathmines/Portobello area. The Dublin Bus site (http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey...r.asp?route=49) says it takes altogether 65 minutes but I'd like a real perspective on this!, I still remember Dublin traffic!.

Apart from this, is there any other way to get to that area quicker. The Luas doesn't within walking distance to it.

Any help really appreciated...

Thanks!

Firstly do not even think of taking the 49 or 49A to/from The Square from Clanbrassil Street as it takes a huge tour of Firhouse en route.

Your best bet for a direct bus route from Clanbrassil Street is the 54A and from Portobello the 65 or 65B.

What time do you need to be at The Square or wherever you are working and what time are you finishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PalerPaul

I start work on the Airton road at 9 but would like to be in around 8.30 ish. probably leave at about 5.20ish too. Looking to live south of the city but commutable (realistically) to Tallaght and having a nightmare figuring it out. Any help really appreciated. Just trying to figure out what areas are likely to be good to live at.... Ideally looking at an hour or hour fifteen commute time but can't figure out a way to do this.... I know the 75 says it takes 70 or so minutes but at peak times, it's nearly two hours so really need some help on this....

PalerPaul wrote:
    I start work on the Airton road at 9 but would like to be in around 8.30 ish. probably leave at about 5.20ish too. Looking to live south of the city but commutable (realistically) to Tallaght and having a nightmare figuring it out. Any help really appreciated. Just trying to figure out what areas are likely to be good to live at.... Ideally looking at an hour or hour fifteen commute time but can't figure out a way to do this.... I know the 75 says it takes 70 or so minutes but at peak times, it's nearly two hours so really need some help on this....

No problem at all. The 0655, 0720, 0735 and 0810 65B all serve Airton Road directly, operating from Eden Quay via Camden Street, South Richmond Street and Rathmines.

The 0720 will get you to Airton Road for about 0805, the 0735 for 0825-0835, and the 0810 for 0905. Beware that the 0735 and 0810 can both be up to 10 minutes late leaving as they operate inbound from Tallaght beforehand. Time from the terminus at Eden Quay to Portobello should be in or around 10 minutes, but could be quicker depending on drivers and traffic.

Coming back in, none of the buses operate via Airton Road, so the nearest stop is on Belgard Square North outside Cuisine de France (10 minutes max from Airton Road). From that stop you can take the 54A to Leonards Corner or the 65/65B to Portobello.

There are 54A departures at 1710, 1730 and 1750 all of which will take 7-8 minutes from the terminus to that stop and which will take 40 minutes or so to Leonards Corner. The 65B departures are at 1705 and 1745 from Citywest which would make that stop in 20 minutes, and a 65 (1732 ex-Blessington) should be there for 1755 or so. Again they should take about 40 minutes to get to Portobello. Bad traffic can cause the whole thing to melt down, but the 54A tends to be the more reliable service in the evening.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

You're best to walk the short distance from Clanbrassil Street to Kevin Street and get the 50 or 77. It a much quicker service and more frequent than the 49.

From observation, a lot of the early morning services on the 77 run via Airton Road and usually have a paper sticker in the window displaying this. Either way, the 50 stops at one end of the road and the regular 77 stops at he opposite end. A typical journey time heading out of town to Tallaght in the morning would be 40 mins. It may take a bit longer returning in the evening.

As advised above, the 49 is one big sightseeing tour of Firhouse and Ballycullen. Avoid at all costs.

MiniD wrote:
    You're best to walk the short distance from Clanbrassil Street to Kevin Street and get the 50 or 77. It a much quicker service and more frequent than the 49.

From observation, a lot of the early morning services on the 77 run via Airton Road and usually have a paper sticker in the window displaying this. Either way, the 50 stops at one end of the road and the regular 77 stops at he opposite end. A typical journey time heading out of town to Tallaght in the morning would be 40 mins. It may take a bit longer returning in the evening.

As advised above, the 49 is one big sightseeing tour of Firhouse and Ballycullen. Avoid at all costs.

Only the 0720 and 0800 77 buses from Ringsend Garage operate via Airton Road, the rest pass by it. The 65B is very reliable in the morning. I would say that either the 0720 or 0735 buses would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 PalerPaul

Thanks a million for the help. It just goes to say that Dublin Bus don't make it easy to figure these things out!. I'd probably go for the 65B in the morning and then going home, head to Belgard Square North and get the first 54A or 65B to town. They should be quite regular between 5 and 7 so that’s a weight off my mind…. I’m presuming if I just make my way to the Belgard Square north, I should pick up a bus quite quickly to town… Thanks for your comprehensive help on this…. It’s absolutely impossible to get this info anywhere else!!!

Thanks

PalerPaul wrote:
    Thanks a million for the help. It just goes to say that Dublin Bus don't make it easy to figure these things out!. I'd probably go for the 65B in the morning and then going home, head to Belgard Square North and get the first 54A or 65B to town. They should be quite regular between 5 and 7 so that’s a weight off my mind…. I’m presuming if I just make my way to the Belgard Square north, I should pick up a bus quite quickly to town… Thanks for your comprehensive help on this…. It’s absolutely impossible to get this info anywhere else!!!

Thanks

Everything that goes to the city passes that stop - 50, 54A, 65/B, and 77 - the 50 and 77 serve Dolphin's Barn and Kevin Street. Avoid the 49 or 77A as they take long tours en route.

Times to that stop from the terminus are approximately:
    50 - 10 minutes off-peak and 20 minutes peak
    54A - 7-10 minutes
    65 - 25 minutes from Blessington
    65B - 10 minutes off-peak and 20 minutes peak
    77 - 10 minutes

Refer to the Dublin Bus website for departure times.

Advertisement