Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starting the Mk IV Golf

Options
  • 16-05-2007 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

My wife has a 1999 1.4 Golf, when starting the car, its seems if the starter keeps spinning after it starts - like the noise when you hold the turned key to long! What is the problem and where do I start to look? Someone told me its the starter ring?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How long does this noise last? I know starter motor bushes were a common item to fail in VWs - but I can't say I've heard about them on a MkIV. It could be that the starter is staying engaged for too long after you release the key which will eventually damage the ring gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Sticky starter motor by the sounds of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

Its last a second or two - the exact same noise as you hear when you keep the key turned after the car starts. Its also only happens after the car has been sitting for a period of time. If you switch off and on again there is no noise but go back to it an hour later and the noise will be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

ciarsd wrote:
    Sticky starter motor by the sounds of things.

Where do I start looking? I'm handy enough with my car but I dont have a haynes manual for the Golf...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's item no.1 in the attached diagram. It's attached to the engine low down at the point where the engine and gearbox meet.

STARTER MOTOR MAKES NOISES
    AFFECTED MODELS: Polo, Golf, Passat
    FAULT: Starter motor makes noises, continues to run.
    CAUSE: Premature wear due to poor lubrication in the area of the bearing bush on the drive side of the starter motor.
    SOLUTION: Replace starter motor.

I found that on this site >http://www.bba-reman.com/vwfaults.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement