Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst. Manager. Ever.

Options
  • 15-05-2007 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see the recent Sox/O's series at Fenway?

Some of the worst decisions I have seen taken by Sam Perlozzo.

The Saturday game-one of his relievers gives up 3 straight walks and he leaves him in (the O's still had a chance at this stage-it was 5-4 Boston). The poor guy has to take himself out with a 'strain' (his name was Leicster, but of course it's pronounced Liester in the US)-he had also hit a Sox batter in the previous inning.

But Sunday was the best. The O's starter (a kid called Jeremy Guthrie claimed on waivers from Cleveland) was rolling-pitched to one out in the 9th-91 pitches thrown, O's ahead 5-1 (the Sox run was unearned). They haven't looked like getting 4 runs off this guy all day. And then Ramon Hernandez drops one of the easiest catches I have ever seen. Should have been 92 pitches, 2 out. But the manager lifts the kid and brings in Denys Baez. he gives up 2 hits and 2 runs on 5 pitches and doesn't get an out. So the manager goes to his closer. He gives up 3 walks 2 hits and 3 runs. He gets one very dubious out. Sox win 6-5.

Now, lest anyone accuse me of bias, this is fairly insignificant compared to Grady Little's decision to go to the mound and leave Petey in against the Yanks in the 2003 ALCS. That is his legacy in Boston.

So let's hear em folks-be it from years gone by or the current year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭PappaCSkillz22

Pretty stunning decision alright, and definitely led to the Sox come back

As a pitcher who knows how hard it can be to come into a game and throw strikes and get batters out, cold off the bench, it always amazes me how managers often take out a starter that is cruising, particularly after an error. Why risk a reliever coming in cold and ruining the good work the starter has done?

That was a great example of terrible management

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

John Gibbons gives anyone a run. He's made so many crazy pitching changes that have led to losses over the years. Regularly taking out Halladay only to see the 'pen cough it up because Gibbo lives and dies by pitch count...which has proven to be crap. Bringing in Schoeneweis (SP!!??!) to face Ortiz cause of the lefty-lefty matchup. How stupid is that...Halladay has a better chance of getting Ortiz out than Schoeneweis on his best day.
    Latest examples are taking out Marcum after 6.1 no hit inning just coz he gave up a walk, only to see Frasor cough it up, and yesterday taking the debutant Litsch out after giving up a 2 out walk in the 9th. The guy was on his way to a CG in his first start!!! Very Gibbons...Fire him I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

All Ortiz' home runs this year have come off righties, so bringing in a lefty (and wasn't Schoeneweis a swingman for most of his career?) isn't the worst idea I've heard.....

He was but I still say thats one where the numbers game should go out the window. I think in a game earlier this year, Downs (lefty) came in to face Ortiz and struck him out and looked good, then instead of letting him face Manny he brought in Frasor or someone who gave up a bomb. Always happening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Totally agree with you Zuutrpy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Lucas spamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

zuutroy wrote:
    John Gibbons gives anyone a run. He's made so many crazy pitching changes that have led to losses over the years. Regularly taking out Halladay only to see the 'pen cough it up because Gibbo lives and dies by pitch count...which has proven to be crap. Bringing in Schoeneweis (SP!!??!) to face Ortiz cause of the lefty-lefty matchup. How stupid is that...Halladay has a better chance of getting Ortiz out than Schoeneweis on his best day.
    Latest examples are taking out Marcum after 6.1 no hit inning just coz he gave up a walk, only to see Frasor cough it up, and yesterday taking the debutant Litsch out after giving up a 2 out walk in the 9th. The guy was on his way to a CG in his first start!!! Very Gibbons...Fire him I say!

Let's not also forget the Hillenbrand affair... what an @$$...

Neil3030 wrote:
    Let's not also forget the Hillenbrand affair... what an @$$...

And the punch up with Ted Lilly!

Advertisement