Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ice Bulb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

cool but utterly pointless unless you live in a <0 degree environment

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

cool but utterly pointless unless you live in a <0 degree environment

my whole life is sub zero so i'm golden!

but seriously it is more of a gimmicky one. nice for parties or for the kids to mess around with..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

gona get the required stuff tomorrow and try it out

although I might wait until friday when I get the weed... weed will probably make this way cooler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Oooh thats pretty. Didnt show the attaching batteries bit. Do you just split a wire and stick it to either end of the battery with tape and repeat for the other one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

you could put it in a plastic bowl and take the wires out through it(obviously sealing the hole with glue or wax or something) so that you could let it melt and not worry during a party or something.

Also LEDs take very little current to switch on and I don't know how much effect increased current has on their brightness so could put a resistor in to give it a better lifespan. Would have to check datasheets

Was looking in maplin and the operating voltage is 3.6V which is higher than I would have expected and higher that 1.5V from an AAA battery though I think they might be "extreme brightness" LEDs. Oh and you can buy simple battery holders for hooking up the batteries in maplin.

I'm not an electrical engineer though and don't have fantastic intuition when it comes to electronics.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

boreds wrote:
    Oooh thats pretty. Didnt show the attaching batteries bit. Do you just split a wire and stick it to either end of the battery with tape and repeat for the other one?

if you use the 9V batteries you can buy a clip on cap with wires hanging off it ready to go..

spec54e.jpg

Advertisement