Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

undersealing?

Options
  • 15-05-2007 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Probably a silly question but how can you tell if a car was undersealed?

I am planning on buying a Skyline from a private buyer in Ireland.It was originaly a Jap import imported into the UK where I think its spend the last few years.

Im afraid the salt on the Uk motorways will corrode the underbody eventually

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You should be able to see by looking under the car, underseal is pretty thick stuff. That said, i'd strongly advise having such a car looked at by a competent mechanic before committing to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If waxoyl/hammerite or such like was applied under wings, inner wheel arches etc it would be a rubberised coating of sorts, fairly smooth to the touch - most probably in black. Some sealants are colourless though. They can be painted or sprayed on. The one you paint is a bit like tar when been applied and dries to a chip-proof seal. If treated these areas would tend to wash much cleaner with a power hose and have much less crap (grit, debris) stuck on, compared with an untreated car. A magnet would probably highlight whether there is a thick coating of sealant or just bare or painted metal showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

Most modern cars have plastic wheelarch liners, and are well rust proofed by the manufacturer. They also tend not to have the same moisture traps as old cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes but most Jap spec cars are devoid of underbody protection !

Advertisement