Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motte and Baileys

• 15-05-2007 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Any of you guys interested in these features that are scattered across the east of the country? I want to get myself a book on them and was wondering if you have some recommendations. I tried to get some of Kieran O'Connor's (pretty sure that's his name) work on the subject but not too sure as to where to get myself a copy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Tadgh O'Keeffe covers the subject in his work 'Medieval Ireland: An Archaeology', but I can't think of any indepth studies of them off-hand. MacNeill might refer to them in his work on medieval castles too; I will look it up when I get a chance.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

By the way, have you ever visited one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Have one behind my house! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Is there any in the west of Ireland that are easily visited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Have one behind my house! :D

Excellent!!! :D They are interesting structures....

And the one behind us here is very interesting (so it seems). It has a number of trenches built on the east side of the motte, as this was the side which it was attacked from most. Is this common with motte and baileys in the country?

Guinnessdrinker - Looking at this month's edition of Archaeology Ireland, it would seem that most motte and baileys lie in the east side of the country and very few are in the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

We had one on our Family Farm outside Baltinglass, the Government put a preservation order on the land, and it quickly became overgrown as we weren't allowed to touch it. Farm was sold about 15 years ago, so I can only imagine the condition it's in now.

The one here is overgrown too. Is there anything that can be done about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Guinnessdrinker - Looking at this month's edition of Archaeology Ireland, it would seem that most motte and baileys lie in the east side of the country and very few are in the west.

Yep. The Normans concentrated on the East and South-East (that general area anyway), building a glut of Motte and Bailey's after 1169, even building some atop ringforts to cement their authority. Facinating culture.

And I second the recomendations of Tadgh O'Keefe's books. He gave a few lectures on the Normans last semester, and they were very enjoyable. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I'd definitely recommend Kieran O'Conor's work- 'The Archaeology of Medieval Rural Settlement in Ireland' is very good, and explains everything pretty well, especially Kieran's theories on DMV's in Ireland.

I tried getting them off Kieran himself but he never got back to me about them. Wouldn't happen to know where I could get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Fletch123 wrote:
    I'd definitely recommend Kieran O'Conor's work- 'The Archaeology of Medieval Rural Settlement in Ireland' is very good, and explains everything pretty well, especially Kieran's theories on DMV's in Ireland.

I did my MA Thesis on Motte and Baileys so this topic brings back lots of memories! Keiran's book is excellent but out of print now I think. Check ebay or amazon for it. There are very few mottes west of Mullinger. They were the initial structure that the Normans used to settle the land and so are necesarily defensive in nature. County Louth has some of the best ones in the country. If you check out the Archaeological inventory for your local county you can see if there are any near you that you can visit. Brain a bit dead at the moment so if anyone has anymore questions I can answer I'll try again later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I tried getting them off Kieran himself but he never got back to me about them. Wouldn't happen to know where I could get them?

Kieran can be a tad stressed sometimes so you could just remind him! Also, he doesn't really do email, in case that's how you were communicating! Certain libraries should have them, I know you wanted to own a book, but reading borrowing them might be a start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Howdy! Sorry for dragging up an old thread (better than starting a new one and losing all this info).

I'm have a strange fasination with Motte and Baileys. I've lived very near one all my life, and I guess it started from there. I've bought ordnance survey maps for the county and have been to a lot of them, raths and most of the other significant earthworks.

Has anybody here ever had experience of working on them? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Does anyone here know anything about raised or platform ringforts and their relationship to mottes?
    They seem to be quite similar monuments in appearance.
    There is a site near me (in E. Waterford) that locals view as a motte but it more similar to a ringfort in height and width.
    I presume the size is usually the distinguish factor.
    What would be the smallest type of a motte?

Advertisement