Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone imported a S13 180sx

Options
  • 15-05-2007 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭

Have any of you lads personally imported a 180sx withput buyin it off a jap import dealer here?

I want to know what sort of costs ye've encountered etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Make of car doesn't really matter, you'll still come across the same costs, which largely depend on the cost of the car. For a personal Jap import:

Cost of car

Then add

Auction fees and auction tax (if bought at auction) + Japanese agent's fees + transport costs in Japan (to get the car to the port) + Japanese export tax (probably another 200-300 or so altogether, possibly more depending on cost of car)

You can expect to pay 10% of this combined amount in import duty and 21% VAT on all the above plus the 10% import duty.

Shipping costs (typically 500-600 Euro)
    Customs clearance (about 150)
    Storage on the docks if you can't pick it up immediately (20-30 Euro a day, I'd say)

VRT (depends on the OMSP of the car, for older cars you may get away with paying the minimum VRT of 315 Euro)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Viejo Zorro

Why personal imports? No statutory rights, whereas if you buy off an importer (who doesn't really take a huge profit from it), you have a statutory 3 month warrenty, unless of course, you mod it within that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

Why personal imports? No statutory rights, whereas if you buy off an importer (who doesn't really take a huge profit from it), you have a statutory 3 month warrenty, unless of course, you mod it within that time.

Man i know several importers who are makin quite a big profit on imports... but anyway that's not the point...
    What i actually wanted bys askin this question was to see if anyone could give me specific details related to importing a 180sx, because that'd give the best indication to the costs involved.
    What i want to do is import one, drive it for a while, prep it for driftin, maybe drift a bit, then sell it on and hopefully not lose too much above what i paid for it originally and the work i'd do to it.
    If it works out then i might consider bringin in a couple every now and then on the side , just as a bit of a hobby.
    I already mess buy and tidy up a few old rear wheel drive yokes as a hobby, i just buy one, do a bit of work to it, drive it until i get bored and then sell it an dhope to cover the costs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Advertisement