Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Declaring car off the road...

Options
  • 15-05-2007 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭

Right, the tax (and insurance) are up on my car at the end of this month. I won't able to afford to pay for them for aonther year, so I've decided to declare the car off the road. How do I go about doing this? Do I have to send a away a form or do I just not pay the renewal form (and ignore it)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

As long as the car is parked off the road you dont have to do anything, until you want to tax it again and then you can get the tax written off in any Garda Station.

Obviously you should start the engine every once in a while if possible leave the handbrake off and in gear and air out the inside some silca gel can soak up the moisture help aviod mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Take the weight of the wheels if you can, or at the very least, move the car so as the tyres dont end up with a 'flat spot' from being in the same place for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Disconnect the battery. Put it on bricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Well, it's going to be left on my uncle's farm. It'll be left on gravel, so no chance of grass growing up under it. The tyres on the car are in terrible condition anyway, so I don't care if they degrade over the course of months (or even years).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

I have recently put my old car off the road, when the tax had lapsed I got a letter from the tax office asking me to declare what I had done with it, it was an official document which you have to complete in 7 days, when you decide to start using the car again you will need to get the declaration signed by the cops.

Advertisement