Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Coffee Grains?

Options
  • 15-05-2007 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭

After reading the Best Coffee Shop thread, I was shocked at the anti-Starbucks sentiment. I have to say I'm a fan of Starbucks, and always have a pack of Starbucks in my press at home.

So if Starbucks is muck, whats the best filter/cafetiere coffee I can get? Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Get yourself a grinder and get your hands on some freshly roasted
    beans.. you wont regret it.
    Check the recommended suppliers post - not sure if it's stickied yet.

Now if only the postie would hurry up and deliver my new Iberital MC2
    and latest Ristrettocoffee orders :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Any recommendations?
    Buy beans and grind from fresh just before you make your coffee :D

Seriously, there's a very significant difference in taste. And an electric coffee grinder (even if it's only a spinning blade type) is only about €20 and will last for years.

If you really can't be bothered though, I'd call into barnies and get some Kenyan or Java beans and get them to grind them for you there; then put them into the fridge (not the freezer) when you get to the office or to home (depending on where you're making the coffee).

BTW - fridge for grounds, and they don't keep well past a few days - after that, they'll taste just like the stuff from the mass marketed packages of grounds.

Dark cool cupboard for beans. Stick beans in a fridge and you'll mangle the taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

TmB wrote:
    So if Starbucks is muck

Sorry to shock you... but just to clarify - I can't speak for other people, but I for one wouldn't describe Starbucks as 'muck'. However, IMHO it would definitely be a very long way from the best.
    TmB wrote:
    whats the best filter/cafetiere coffee I can get? Any recommendations?

Palombini is excellent, from the Italian place in the epicurean food hall off Abbey St.

Bewleys on Grafton St. have a good selection of blends, mostly fair trade, always freshly roasted (a vital yet often-ignored factor in achieving the best flavour), and they'll grind it to suit you if you can't grind you own. But as others have said, if you want the best you won't regret investing in a coffee grinder and grinding fresh each time you brew up.

Ariosa do some excellent fresh-roasted blends at the farmers market in Temple Bar on Saturday mornings.

Online there's Ristretto - http://www.ristrettocoffee.com/shop/Scripts/default.asp - already been mentioned but worth saying again.

Good luck, hope you find something you like. I'd be surprised if you don't.

Advertisement