Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra question

Options
  • 15-05-2007 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hello there chaps. I hope someone can help.

There's a girl here in work who had an 1.4L 05 Opel Astra SXI, who is moaning that it drinks too much fuel.

Now I said to her that she'd want to make sure that she's in the correct gear, not driving too fast etc.. However she's adamant that there's something wrong with the car. :rolleyes:

Is there anything else that can be checked to see if it is actually using more fuel that it normally would?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would say most likely the problem is that she is used to putting in €50 of fuel and getting a certain number of days/weeks out of it, and she hasn't taken into account the fact that fuel has gone up by about 15% in the last 6 weeks.

The Astra has a closed loop fuel/emmisiions system, and everything is monitored. If it used to much fuel this would show up as a fault and bring the engine trouble light on.

The best advise is to tell her to drive the car 'till the fuel light comes on, zero the trip,then fill up at a local station, try to obtain the best price, then record the quantity of litres she's bought. Now drive the car 'till the fuel light comes on and try to fill up at the same, or same priced station.

Record the amount of fuel used for the distance travelled. Now you will have an accurate figure to work with.

Most people do it the other way which is not accurate !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would say most likely the problem is that she is used to putting in €50 of fuel and getting a certain number of days/weeks out of it, and she hasn't taken into account the fact that fuel has gone up by about 15% in the last 6 weeks.

The Astra has a closed loop fuel/emmisiions system, and everything is monitored. If it used to much fuel this would show up as a fault and bring the engine trouble light on.

The best advise is to tell her to drive the car 'till the fuel light comes on, zero the trip,then fill up at a local station, try to obtain the best price, then record the quantity of litres she's bought. Now drive the car 'till the fuel light comes on and try to fill up at the same, or same priced station.

Record the amount of fuel used for the distance travelled. Now you will have an accurate figure to work with.

Most people do it the other way which is not accurate !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I get 375 miles in the summer 325 miles in the winter.
    Mind is a 1999 1.4 Opel Astra

How many mpg is she getting?

Tell her fill the tank, reset the mileage counter, drive away like normal and then when the tank is near empty fill up again, record how many litres she filled up by, divide that the number of miles she drove, mutiple that by 4.544 to get mpg.

1.4 Astra should be around 43-45mpg.

Astra's dont like town driving. Warning, they will drink petrol from drinking arond towns and doint short journeys. but are very economical on longer journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drogman

Cheers chaps.

I'll pass on the advise and see how she gets on.

Advertisement