Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car advice

Options
  • 15-05-2007 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

Hi idiot here,

I have zero knowledge of cars. I am commuting from Portarlington to Dublin six days a week and am looking to get a different car.
    I work with a few guys who do a long commute and they've advised me to get a diesel engine. Ideally I would prefer a saloon as I've a young family and would need the space.

I've about 7.5k to play with as well as a 00 Nissan Almera to trade.

I've bought from a private dealer before and got fcuked over. I bought my Almera from one of the many car sales on the Naas Road and while it seemed fine when I bought it, I just don;t feel happy with it atm and thus am probably going to buy from a dealership to cover myself.

Would anyone have any advice?
    Cheers
    K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

02 Bora TDi Sport SE, around €10k for a decent one. 55 mpg

Or else 02 Mazda 6 2.0TD 134 bhp 53 mpg

Example of Bora would be this:

VW Bora TDI Comfortline 1.9L 2001, Munster Limerick €8000.00
    60k mls 115bhp, mint cond, t/belt & service done, 087-9205771 [save ad]

Buyandsell.ie

Buy private and get the car checked out by a mechanic you trust. Others will disagree but I would advise you to avoid dealers unless you want to be financially raped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

what do you mean "private dealer"?!
    you'd be better off buying a golf than a bora - it'd hold it's value better (if you wanted to go down the vw road)

go on to carzone.ie, select search cars; enter in the price range you want, the preferred registration year(s), select diesel and also select dealers (as opposed to private)
    click on the mileage tab at the top to sort them from least mileage to most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

i would choose a passat, but they hold there value so either get a new high milage one or an old low milage one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Re: Golf Vs. Bora, given that the Bora depreciates more, you'll be able to get a newer, higher spec Borafor the same price as an older Golf.

Recommend an Avensis D-4D 00-03 (old model) quite powerful, and very comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

colm_mcm wrote:
    Re: Golf Vs. Bora, given that the Bora depreciates more, you'll be able to get a newer, higher spec Borafor the same price as an older Golf.

Recommend an Avensis D-4D 00-03 (old model) quite powerful, and very comfortable.

:D depends on ur age... go for the avensis if u want the priest image! lol

the older d4d 2.0 is a bit low on the BHP.. but ok all the same:eek: :)

i wouldnt use the word powerful to describe it...its 116 bhp isnt it? the newer one is 125 from what i remember........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I didn't think the Mazda 6 diesel returned as high mpg as being quoted above...

Passat is a good choice or Avensis

Cheaper option is a Mondeo and considered almost as good...don't think they are as comfortable as the VW though

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what_car wrote:
    :

i wouldnt use the word powerful to describe it...its 116 bhp isnt it? the newer one is 125 from what i remember........

If you drive the old shape with the 116bhp D-4D, you'll find it's quicker than the new shape with 125bhp. The body is a hell of a lot lighter. The power delivery is very good too.

Advertisement