Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little present for myself.....

Options
  • 15-05-2007 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭

Sometimes you just feel like treating yourself to a nice present...well today I feel that way....

I'd be very interested in peoples comments/ recommendations on what to purchase for myself and where (deals etc.). Basically I have €1-2k to spend on myself and I feel like getting a nice piece of kit...

Brief summary of my current situation

I've been sitting on the fence about buying a pda for some time.

I have a sony ericcsson w800 (which I love, I use the syncing and the mp3 player extensively along with the bluetooth remote on my laptop for work presentations and as a remote for controlling dvd playback etc) and a pretty boring (but functional) work laptop that is available to me for personal use but I can't go and put a load of software on it nor does it have great multimedia capabilities. I also have a 3 year old pc at home which I tend to use less and less.

I like the idea of a lightweight snazzy laptop with serious multimedia capabilites or else a top of the range pda with an ability to watch movies on the move with wifi, bluetooth and gps if possible. I'd be prepared to spend a decent amount of cash for something that works well and isn't going to be falling down when I open a few applications.

It's also an option for me to get something in the states in the summer.

So does anyone have any thoughts or a wish list they have for themselves that they'd like to share. Any good deals you've seen recently that you'd like to share would also be very welcome.

cheers

Olly
    P.S. I'm posting this here and in the pda section just to get feedback, I hope thats acceptable to the mods.

P.P.S. A friend of mine thought I might find an i-mac of interest but I've always ignored them due to issues of expense and perceived incompatability with other devices but my friend reckons that I can now use an i-mac with three OSs running simultaneously and lots of cool features for a reasonable price. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

If it's something really fancy you're after, how about a UMPC? Or a Flybook? JVC Mini-note? With that kind of budget, there's quite a selection available to you.

It'd be easier if you stated what kind of form factor, what resolution, with/without keyboard, pocketable or bigger... All shapes and sizes these days ;)

I'm in the market myself, to treat myself to a big screen (VGA or more) PDA, not necessarily anything fancy or even new, but with enough grunt to read PDFs, browse with WiFi and talk with Skype.

Tried HPC form factors (Jornadas 820, Aero 8000, Nec MobilePros), not enough processing grunt.

Tried Fujitsu tablet-only PCs (as in: no built-in keyboard) (Pencentras and ST-series), grand but big and heavy.

Quite like the Samsung Nexio S160/XP30/XP40 (but can't find any, long discontinued), the Sony UX50 and the Sharp Zaurus (SL-C1000 upwards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

ambro25 wrote:
    If it's something really fancy you're after, how about a UMPC? Or a Flybook? JVC Mini-note? With that kind of budget, there's quite a selection available to you.

It'd be easier if you stated what kind of form factor, what resolution, with/without keyboard, pocketable or bigger... All shapes and sizes these days ;)

I'm in the market myself, to treat myself to a big screen (VGA or more) PDA, not necessarily anything fancy or even new, but with enough grunt to read PDFs, browse with WiFi and talk with Skype.

Tried HPC form factors (Jornadas 820, Aero 8000, Nec MobilePros), not enough processing grunt.

Tried Fujitsu tablet-only PCs (as in: no built-in keyboard) (Pencentras and ST-series), grand but big and heavy.

Quite like the Samsung Nexio S160/XP30/XP40 (but can't find any, long discontinued), the Sony UX50 and the Sharp Zaurus (SL-C1000 upwards).

Ambro thanks a million for taking the time!

It sounds like you are further down the line on this than I. I'll have a little browse on the web in respect of the above and come back with some more detail on what exact specs interest me.

Thanks again

Advertisement