Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Black or tan leather

Options
  • 14-05-2007 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Im buying a car and have a choice of one a black one with black leather seats or a grey one with tan leather, i dont know which i like more, both the same price.

I presume the black is easier to keep clean, but other than that are there any other benefits? Which colour should i go for!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Black would be easier to keep clean but might also make the interior too dark...?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, tan ages nicer in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The tan with the grey car looks super imo. Black car and black interior don't do it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tan/black looks much better.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Saw a 5-Series today in Grey with tan leather - it looked a really nice combo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I think black looks better however I would imagine in the summer with the sun that it would burn the hole off ye :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Black leather FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I think tan interiors are disgusting!!!!

I think when you're selling it on, not many people will have an opinion on a black interior, as that's what we've come to expect in cars, so no one will be put off.
    BUT a tan interior. Even if some love it, I'd imagine for at least 25% of people it would be a big no no.

I know it would for me & lots of people around me anyway.

Go for black, you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

By tan do you mean cream or more of a brown/tan colour? I have a car with Black leather & one with cream leather. The one with cream leather is a nicer place to be, much brighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

By tan do you mean cream or more of a brown/tan colour? I have a car with Black leather & one with cream leather. The one with cream leather is a nicer place to be, much brighter.

Tan,

And a split half-tan/half-black dashboard....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

black on black is nice... can you not get black with tan?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Feckin' black an' tans! :mad:

Oh, wait! I think that black on black can look very nice but it depends on the rest of the cabin to be honest. If it's all black then that can be a bit boring and depressing.

I'm not sure I'd be a fan of the gray tan combo though. The only thing I would say is that I've owned a black car and when they are freshly washed they look great, sleek and sexy but 2 minutes later they tend to look grimy and filthy. The dirt will show very readily on the black model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey congrats on the new car,

If you tell us what car it is and the exterior colour it will be a bit easier to select colours for the inside,

black exterior and cream leather will sell quicker than a car with black/black 90% of the time, it is a nice contrast and although people say black is easier to keep it makes little difference, leather is wipe clean anyway and for the sake of €100 once a year, if its really really bad I would go tan.

It is a lot brighter and does look the business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

The lighter colour leather makes the interior feel nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

BoozyBabe wrote:
    I think tan interiors are disgusting!!!!

I think when you're selling it on, not many people will have an opinion on a black interior, as that's what we've come to expect in cars, so no one will be put off.
    BUT a tan interior. Even if some love it, I'd imagine for at least 25% of people it would be a big no no.

I know it would for me & lots of people around me anyway.

Go for black, you can't go wrong.

It depends on the car - tan interiors can be beautiful (unless ruined by a colour-coded steering wheel)
    ferrari-612-scaglietti-interior.jpg
    112_09105_retrospect_2z+1968_ferrari_365_gts_4_daytona_convertible+interior_driver.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I think black exterior looks fantastic when new, but literally just new. The next day it will look dusty and you will never get it to look great again, despite washing/chamois/polishing. the dust just shows up all over it !

I would never get a car with a dark exterior again, and definitely a lighter, contrasting interior looks best. Leather is hard wearing, dont worry about the dirt on the bright surface, its easy to clean with a wipe !

Grey with tan is a classy combo IMO, unless the shade of tan is more brown which can look a bit sick too !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Interior of my car is black leather with black dash and looks great.

Never seen a grey car with tan leather interior so cant comment but black car with tan leather looks really nice. Really depends on the colour of the tan leather....it can come in all shades and in some it looks :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Its an Alfa 147 - heres a link to it which includes some pictures

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/159403.htm

I see a black one with tan leathe on the page for 5k sterling so there is quite a bit in price difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

An Alfa 147?? it HAS to have tan leather so! although Alfa's idea of tan is more like cream.... it really is a beautiful interior

my Cosmos Blue Alfa 156 has black leather, and while the alfa leather interior is one of the best there is, I wish I had tan leather in it, the black is just so feckin boring and conservitave

(I really wanted a black 156 with red leather, couldn't find one......)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

siralfalot wrote:
    An Alfa 147?? it HAS to have tan leather so! although Alfa's idea of tan is more like cream.... it really is a beautiful interior

my Cosmos Blue Alfa 156 has black leather, and while the alfa leather interior is one of the best there is, I wish I had tan leather in it, the black is just so feckin boring and conservitave

(I really wanted a black 156 with red leather, couldn't find one......)

Also, slightly off topic, but the black&red leather Alfa are doing in the limited edition GT Monza is stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

prospect wrote:
    Also, slightly off topic, but the black&red leather Alfa are doing in the limited edition GT Monza is stunning.

its fantastic looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

It can depend on the type of car too. For instance, my last car was a black Audi A3 with Black Leather interior. Centre panels of seat leather were a dark grey. Dash and carpets were black too. It wasn't opressive at all especially with the sunroof and the car didn't feel claustrophobic.

Tan leather on the A3 while making the interior even lighter just didn't do it for me. It was like it was trying too hard to look classy and luxurious which was just too much for a 3 door hatchback to pull off. Paradoxically with the black leather I felt it did look classy and luxurious and could pull it off because...."it wasn't trying too hard"

Different kettle of fish with me new TT. Saw an all black car in the showroom and my god was that boring and oppresively claustrophobic. This car could pull off the tan/cream/beige leather without looking pretentious IMO and the difference it made to the cabin was amazing. Made the interior look much more classy and luxurious, the contrasting carpets dash and door panels etc broke up the boring swathes of black of the all black interior car. It also made the interior feel about a foot wider and taller.

It really depends on the car whether black on black or tan on black is the better option.

img1437241pf8.jpg

img1461481vf0.jpg

img1456431ki3.jpg

img1452391lx9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

These are some (small) interior pics of the wifes Civic IMA. With the black trim at the tops of the doors, and the black dash I think it looks super. I had a silver car with black leather, didn't look as classy.

ii3.jpgii5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I also think that wood with tan/beige or light grey leather looks far better. Aluminium/carbon or whatever doesn't do it for me, it kinda clashes IMO !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

TAN!!
    Have had Black in the last two cars and it's too dark, the tan is much cheerier!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Dude, go with the one you prefer the most! Dont worry about cleaning. If you cant decide then toss a coin and stick with the result. Or dont stick with the result, either way the coin will control your choice (not really)

Advertisement