Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woodturning chucks!

Options
  • 14-05-2007 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

at the mo, i have a record power lathe, and im hoping to buy a chuck for it.
    would any one know what is the best make and price range? i was looking for something to turn pens and bowls.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Personally I'd go for the Teknatool SuperNova2 (see http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/SuperNova2/SuperNova2_Chuck.htm). You can get it as a starter kit with the 50mm jaws which will do you fine for small bowls. As for price, I think you'd be talking about the €200 mark including the insert (3/4" x 16tpi, I think for your lathe). You can get these in Dublin easy enough at Richard Gough's in Little Mary St. Alternatives would be some of the smaller chucks from the Axminster range (www.axminster.co.uk). You can get additional jaw sets for both chucks when and as you need them.

I'm not really that up on pen turning, but generally speaking, I don't think you use a chuck for making them. You use a mandrel that you put the pre-drilled blanks on to, which has a morse taper on one end that goes into your headstock, and a small indent on the other end that you push a live centre in your tailstock onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I have the supernova, got it at a show a few years back. It came with 3 jaw sets, none of which would suit pen making.The smallest jaw set I got were 25mm and even they are too big for pens that you stick a biro refill into.A good chuck but having to change the jaws can be a chore. I believe record have taken over the distribution of nova stuff so mcquillans ect should stock them now.This
    is the type of mandrel I use, fairly cheap and will fit several types of kits with removable bushings.This
    barrell trimmer is a must also for pen making.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i've got a supernova 1 great chuck
    for pen turning you really need a mandrel dont buy the stuff from sorby cos you cant get them out of a record go for something like this
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Pen-Mandrels-21293.htm
    1 mt for the record power - u can use the thread protector to push it out of the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 earlyturner

thanks for the info lads..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I have one of these and you can have it for free -- yes free :eek:

I think its the 3000 but could be the 2000.

Update 8pm - it is the 3000.

Worth a go to see whats it's like anyhow.

I have a larger chuck for my Poolwood so have no use for this.

Pm me :D

• Advertisement

thanks. greatly appreciated.

left you a pm

karltimber wrote:
    I have one of these and you can have it for free -- yes free :eek:

I think its the 3000 but could be the 2000.

Update 8pm - it is the 3000.

Worth a go to see whats it's like anyhow.

I have a larger chuck for my Poolwood so have no use for this.

Pm me :D
    I have one of those too karltimber, never managed to get the best from it for some reason.

My wife did an uninvited clean up of my shed recently and has managed to somehow lose/misplace/throwout or sell my chuckkey and spanner for my supernova.Despite the bedlam that is my workspace I always managed to find the bits I needed,She denies moving them, as much as i enjoy someone else cleaning my mess up I dislike the consequences, I wont be sure what else is missing untill I go looking for it. Anyone any tips on using a supernova without the chuckkey or should I throw it through the kitchen window at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

give tekantool an email i'm sure they can supply you with a new one - although i'm sure the chuck through the window has its appeal !!
    http://www.teknatool.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

Record Power has taken over the super nova chucks, and would probally be able to send you one via Mc Quillans or even Richard Gough in Dublin - if you have any problems, feel free to email me on whraitt@indigo.ie

• Advertisement

ok thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 katabatic

hi i'm just starting out at this so im wondering what would be the best tools to do some simple turning like bowls etc and where i might get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

3/8" bowl gouge 3/4" round nose scraper 1" flat nose scraper should do you but you would need a facepalte or chuck as well
    quick how to
    http://www.newwoodworker.com/turning/bwlbsics.html

You'll get all the tools you need,plus lathes, at mcqillanns in capel st or blanch, and goffs in little mary st.Assuming your in dublin of course.

Advertisement