Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine map

Options
  • 14-05-2007 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Any ideas where I'd get an engine map online. My dad's going to change my air flow meter if it's not too niggly and since the part is about €150 I'll be trying to save on labour if at all possible.

And yes, despite all my threats to dump it it's still the 1.0 corsa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What do you mean by 'map'? Do you mean some sort of plan of the layout of the engine components or do you mean the map the ECU uses as reference for the fuel injection system?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

crosstownk wrote:
    What do you mean by 'map'? Do you mean some sort of plan of the layout of the engine components or do you mean the map the ECU uses as reference for the fuel injection system?

Sorry late reply...layout of the engine components...if it was ECU I'd rather put it off the road than let my dad at it!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you asking for a diagram of where everything is in the engine bay?
    If he needs to ask where it is then with no offence maybe he isn't the best person to replace it!

Well he wants to have a look to make sure he can actually do it before I go someplace, buy it and then turn up 2 days later to have it fitted.

I'm presuming it's not in the same place on all cars, or obvious like a dipstick...I know what it looks like, but not where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Find the air filter box, follow the plastic air ducting towarcs the engine until you find a short section of it that has wires coming out of it. That's your air flow meter. You might need to get large jubilee clips to replace the cilps that are currently securing it in place which may be crimped on, use a small screwdriver to break the crimp and a pliars to pull them off, this will save bleeding fingers. You'll also probably need a special 'bit', similar to a torx bit but with a little dimple in the centre, I can't for the life of me remember what they're called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

alias no.9 wrote:
    You'll also probably need a special 'bit', similar to a torx bit but with a little dimple in the centre, I can't for the life of me remember what they're called.

Tamper Proof Torx

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

alias no.9 wrote:
    Find the air filter box, follow the plastic air ducting towarcs the engine until you find a short section of it that has wires coming out of it. That's your air flow meter.

Yep - it'll be close to the air filter. It's about the size of a can of coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes as the lads say its about the size of a can, its black, has one electrical block connection, be careful pulling this out as the plastic goes brittle and can break. It needs to be pressed before you pull it.

You will need Torx bits to remove the screws. It is a simple job indeed, no big deal !

If you look at the attached picture of your engine, its on the left between the two silver jubilee clips and beside the blue pipe and the yellow bleed screw, neither of which have anything to do with the unit !

Corsa%20Ecotek2.jpg

Brilliant...that does't look too niggly at all....except the clips.

I expected it to be somewhere in the bowels of the engine bay as opposed to right on top

Thanks guys

The old one came out fine, the problem arose with the new one....idiot in the Motor Factors gave me the wrong one after I asked for, and I quote

"an air flow meter for a 1.0 3 cylinder Corsa"
    what year??
    "00"

What a tool....my dad's gonna take in the old part in his car tomorrow to show the eejit what he needs:mad: :mad: :mad:

Some people shouldn't work with the public!!! I even told him I rang earlier and got a quote of €101, €83+VAT, but he came back with a part that was €107, €88+VAT.

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote:
    my dad's gonna take in the old part in his car tomorrow to show the eejit what he needs

Any time I get stuff from a motor factor I always bring the old part to ensure I get the right one. I'll ring them first to make sure they have what they think I'm looking for in stock - but I'll bring the old part to make sure it is what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

ninty9er wrote:
    I even told him I rang earlier and got a quote of €101, €83+VAT, but he came back with a part that was €107, €88+VAT.

I dont think it is possible to get a MAF for your car for either €83 or €87. My local motor factor sends customers to me to get them for €120 plus vat. I think he said the best he can do them for is €160 plus vat. If you get the correct one for €88 you are doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

which motor factors did you use, i was of the impression it was main dealer only, last one i got was from jack moore 45 lids if i remember correctly

old boy wrote:
    which motor factors did you use, i was of the impression it was main dealer only, last one i got was from jack moore 45 lids if i remember correctly

It used to be the case that they were main dealer only. But now that practically every car has one it's handy enough to get most from a spurious supplier - along with other electronic components such as O2 sensors.

Limerick Brakes....I think I just got the douzy salesman, the other guys dealing with other people seemed to know what they were on about.

The only reason I didn't bring the old part was because I got there using the car and didn't want to drive without it in just in case.

The Ennis Road Motors price was €240:eek: :eek: for the same part...I have a photo of it here.

The red box is a flat end that should be the same as the top part in the photo. the connection was tighter also.

I dont think it is possible to get a MAF for your car for either €83 or €87. My local motor factor sends customers to me to get them for €120 plus vat. I think he said the best he can do them for is €160 plus vat. If you get the correct one for €88 you are doing well.

I got one from Fingal Motor Factors in Swords last year for € 75.00 !

You were talking about a MAF all this time right?

MercMad wrote:
    I got one from Fingal Motor Factors in Swords last year for € 75.00 !

For a 3 cyl corsa?

ronoc wrote:
    You were talking about a MAF all this time right?

Yeah it has various names - depending on where you learn't it! I've heard Air Flow Meter, Air Mass Meter, Mass Air Flow Meter and others.

In the early 90s VW technical manuals called it an Air Flow Meter but by the end of the 90s they were calling it an Air Mass Sensor:confused:

For a 3 cyl corsa?

.......yep !

Ever work on one ? Mad little engine ! I've just done a head gasket, chains and tensioners etc..

Double overhead cam with roller rockers and hydraulic tappets. Lots of bits 'n pieces and all the gaskets are metal with rubber inserts. Poxy Torx head bolts everywhere !!

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote:
    .......yep !

Ever work on one ? Mad little engine ! I've just done a head gasket, chains and tensioners etc..

Double overhead cam with roller rockers and hydraulic tappets. Lots of bits 'n pieces and all the gaskets are metal with rubber inserts. Poxy Torx head bolts everywhere !!

Nope, Merc, BMW and VAG diagnostics is about 90% of my work. I do some diagnostic work on other makes too. Last time I checked prices the Corsa MAF was about €160+ from the factors so I brought them in from the UK. The one's I import are Bosch. I will have to do my homework on these again.

Yes it was a Bosch one I got !!

Maybe I got a wrong price or something but it was deffo Bosch and deffo €75 quid. I will phone the guy again and see what he gives me this time !

Current price in Swords is € 88 & VAT just as the OP says !

MercMad wrote:
    Current price in Swords is € 88 & VAT just as the OP says !

Thanks, lucky I dont have many in stock so :)

MercMad wrote:
    Yes it was a Bosch one I got !!

Maybe I got a wrong price or something but it was deffo Bosch and deffo €75 quid. I will phone the guy again and see what he gives me this time !

Wasn't a Bosch I got, but the old one's a bosch...it was generic.

Took it back today and avoided the guy that sold it to me yesterday and I'll have the correct part in the morning!!

He was a little nonplussed that it didn't fit, but the one he showed me was the wrong one which he said was recommended for Corsa. It had also been returned!!!
    The catalogue and computer system were both showing the incorrect part which caused him a lot of head scratching, but at least it's sorted now!! HOPEFULLY...takes less than 5 mins to fit. I was amazed that a garage could charge €400 for the part and labour without a bout of conscience...Even I can fit the damn thing it's that simple!!!

Got the part fitted it in less than 5 mins outside the motor factors and now the car drives like new....I can do roundabouts without taking my lif in my hands now!! Oh wait it's Ireland:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Advertisement