Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Dublin to Sligo on a Provisional Licence

Options
  • 14-05-2007 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before, I had a look at the memories to no avail..

I'll soon be on my second provisional licence and at the stage where I can drive without a second licenced driver in the car so now I really want to start commuting further distances. What is the best way to get from Dublin to Sligo, while avoiding the motorways (in particular the M4). Is it possible to follow the Lucan bypass to Lexlip without ending up on the M4? If so, I figured go to Lexlip - Maynooth - Kilcock and then onto the N4?

Comments and suggestions are immensly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You just keep heading on the N4 (Lucan bypass) until you see a turnoff for Leixlip. You'll be given advance warning that there's a motorway ahead so you know to turn off. Then you just go through Leixlip, Maynooth, Kilcock, Enfield and eventually rejoin the N4 after Kinnegad. A look at Microsoft Maps (local.live.com), makes it seem like you can rejoin the N4 straight after the M4 finishes, if you take the Athlone Road at the big roundabout before Kinnegad (straight through the roundabout).

Here's the roundabout on Google Maps (I don't know how to link on MS maps): http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.451982,-7.094786&spn=0.004517,0.010042&z=17&om=1 . You can't see the sliproad leading onto the N4 with Google maps though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cuaifeadh

Stark wrote:
    You just keep heading on the N4 (Lucan bypass) until you see a turnoff for Leixlip. You'll be given advance warning that there's a motorway ahead so you know to turn off. Then you just go through Leixlip, Maynooth, Kilcock, Enfield and eventually rejoin the N4 after Kinnegad. A look at Microsoft Maps (local.live.com), makes it seem like you can rejoin the N4 straight after the M4 finishes, if you take the Athlone Road after leaving Kinnegad.

That's perfect, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Tis rare that theres a Provisional Licence driver who obeys the Motorway rules... kudos to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Tis rare that theres a Provisional Licence driver who obeys the Motorway rules... kudos to you :D

Yes, I always used to find that condensation (or something) caused my L plates to "slide off" as I approached motorways. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

cuaifeadh wrote:
    Sorry if this has been asked before, I had a look at the memories to no avail..

I'll soon be on my second provisional licence and at the stage where I can drive without a second licenced driver in the car so now I really want to start commuting further distances. What is the best way to get from Dublin to Sligo, while avoiding the motorways (in particular the M4). Is it possible to follow the Lucan bypass to Lexlip without ending up on the M4? If so, I figured go to Lexlip - Maynooth - Kilcock and then onto the N4?

Comments and suggestions are immensly appreciated :)

you\still,need.a.full.licence.person.with.you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I don't think you're not ready yet. In the interests of your own safety and that of others, I'd advise you to take more lessons from a qualified instructor and wait until you have reached the minimum standards required by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

anto-t wrote:
    you\still,need.a.full.licence.person.with.you

FYI
    Accompaniment Requirements
    All provisional licence holders, with the exception of those who hold provisional licences in category A1, A, M or W or those who hold a second such licence in category B, are required to be accompanied by a qualified driver at all times while driving. A qualified driver is a person who holds a full licence in the vehicle category being driven by the provisional licence holder.

http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/provisional/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1837#Accompaniment

I don't think you're not ready yet. In the interests of your own safety and that of others, I'd advise you to take more lessons from a qualified instructor and wait until you have reached the minimum standards required by the state.

How do you know how many lessons he's already had/what standard he's at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tom1975

Stark wrote:

I think that was a tongue in cheek comment from cyclopath and not meant to be taken seriously!!

tom1975 wrote:
    I think that was a tongue in cheek comment from cyclopath and not meant to be taken seriously!!

You don't know cyclopath very well ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tom1975

Stark wrote:
    You don't know cyclopath very well ;)

Oops, you're right, I don't - just checked out his homepage. I retract my earlier comment!

Stark wrote:
    We won't know anything until he passes the driving test. Since he's already failed once, that's a source for concern.

What's the point in having a driving test?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Since he's already failed once, that's a source for concern.
    What makes you think that cuaifeadh is a 'he' and has failed a driving test :rolleyes:

A provisional licence holder on their first licence may apply for a second licence without having to pass a driving test. Whether you agree or not with that is irrelevant to the query.

(If cuaifeadh has indicated on another thread that he/she has failed a driving test, then I stand corrected but I am merely going by the information posted above.)

What makes you think that cuaifeadh is a 'he' and has failed a driving test :rolleyes:
    OK then, s/he has failed to pass a driving test and wants to undertake a very long commute.

I think it's unsafe.

OK then, s/he has failed to pass a driving test
    That's a bit like saying an Intermediate Certificate pupil has failed to pass the Leaving Certificate! He/she probably has not had the opportunity to pass a driving test. You may not agree with it but the OP is not doing anything illegal.
    cyclopath wrote:
    and wants to undertake a very long commute.
    There are no restrictions on the distance a provisional licenced driver may travel. They must remain inside the state though.
    cyclopath wrote:
    I think it's unsafe
    I appreciate your concern but statistically a person is more likely to be involved in an accident near their home when complacency sets in. A driver is likely to be much more alert on unfamiliar roads.

That's a bit like saying an Intermediate Certificate pupil has failed to pass the Leaving Certificate! He/she probably has not had the opportunity to pass a driving test. You may not agree with it but the OP is not doing anything illegal.
    True, but at least a qualified driver has demonstrated some competance.

Statistically, most 2nd provisional holders have actually failed the test.
    Tiredness, inexperience, over-confidence and technically difficult driving conditions would also be accident factors.

If provisional drivers were restricted in terms of the types of cars they were allowed drive, the permissable driving hours (like truck drivers) and the duration of the license, it might concentrate people's minds on passing the test.

What we have at the moment is an 'Irish solution'.

If provisional drivers were restricted in terms of the types of cars they were allowed drive, the permissable driving hours (like truck drivers) and the duration of the license, it might concentrate people's minds on passing the test
    I agree totally but that is not the fault of the OP. We can only give advice within the current legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i have to say that one year should be sufficent time to become capable of passing the test and in my view the second Provsional should be more limited than the first not vice versa. After all you could acquire a Prov.at 17 , not go near a car for a year, and then drive unaccompanied.....madness.

In the case of the OP...get the test passed....then you have no problem.If you can't pass the test, you shouldnt be even dreaming about driving long distances...or any distances....on your own.

Advertisement