Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to get brake pads asap

Options
  • 14-05-2007 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭

just a quick question, does anyone know where i can get brake pads changed asap around the sandymount area in Dublin thats open after 5??

I got my car serviced 3 weeks ago.... and im already out of brakes :O ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Did you get the brake pads changed 3 weeks. ago.If so then go back to the garage that did it.They shouldnt go that quick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

thats the problem m8, they serviced it.. but didnt change the pads at all :mad: Its metal on metal at the mo.. its crazy, i didnt check the pads cause it was so little time since the service. Last thing i expected was no pads on the front right

ando wrote:
    thats the problem m8, they serviced it.. but didnt change the pads at all :mad: Its metal on metal at the mo.. its crazy, i didnt check the pads cause it was so little time since the service. Last thing i expected was no pads on the front right

You wont get them fitted this quick.Just book in with the guys that did your service and tell them to put you up the waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Pretty poor on the guys who serviced you motor, they should have told you the pads were dangerously low. With metal on metal, do not drive the car unless you have to, i.e. only to the place that is going to replace the pads.
    If however they did advise you and did claim to replace the pads, I would demend that they change them this time, as it sounds like they were not changed in a long time. The shortist I have known a set of pads to last was 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,868 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Pretty poor on the guys who serviced you motor

Indeed, I wouldn't go back to them. Last time I was told the front pads were on the way out with only about 5-6 months left, they easily lasted me till the next service a year later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

Yea they didnt bother telling me about the brakes at the so called service they did.... I mean the most basic thing to get done at a service should be that the brakes are checked and if low then they should advise the customer, but no they didnt even bother telling me, im sure they didnt even check. Im so annoyed at them. Im thinking to myself that if the brakes were not even checked, what else have they skipped in the service.. Its not the first time they've done something like this to me, ive lost all confidence in them. To add salt to the injury they said it would cost 200 for a new set... so i went down the road to the local fastfit and they can do it for 100, half the price :eek:

Im not naming names but its in baldoyle and im driving a Seat.. Stay clear of them cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭sundodger5

From a "do the job right" point of view you should change the discs as well if we have metal on metal.
    the garage that did the service have a duty of care in my opinion. i.e they should of advised you that the pads were low, then you would not need the added cost of discs and also the tome to get the work done.
    half job syndrome. make a call to them and see what they say.
    good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

That's mad really - Brake pads are pretty easy to replace - usually a garage will try to replace them even if they've loads left so they can put a bit extra on the bill. Seems they really didn't bother looking at the car at all. I wouldn't get your car serviced there the next time if I were you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

That's mad really - Brake pads are pretty easy to replace - usually a garage will try to replace them even if they've loads left so they can put a bit extra on the bill.

Where did you hear that??? All the reputable garages I know, (funny they just all happen to be independent garages!), wouldn't change something that didn't need to be changed. As far as I know, garages want vehicles that are serviced to be ready for collection or else collected and paid for. There is no benefit to a garage in changing brake pads or any other part for that matter, which didn't need to be replaced.

Thats good you got them done half price as main dealers just rip you off.Also they should have told you in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

I recommend buying the pads yourself in a local motor factors and giving it to a aprentice mechanic (if you can find one) as a nixer. Its a 20 min job to do. I would do it for you if you lived closer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I replaced my brake pads today €56 for pads and local mechanic changed the pads for €10, I must admit he is one of a kind and there aren't many like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

ando wrote:

Get them replaced, right away free of charge by the morons who charged you good money to do this 3 weeks ago.

- They will of course refuse, citing how busy they are and tell you that you must wait your turn for an appointment. Explain that you did wait for an appointment, more than 3 fcuking weeks ago and they then failed in their responsibilites/duty of care, thus endagering you, your passengers, fellow road users and your considerable € investment in your car.

Threaten small claims court or Joe Duffy if you have to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Darragh29 wrote:
    Where did you hear that??? All the reputable garages I know, (funny they just all happen to be independent garages!), wouldn't change something that didn't need to be changed. As far as I know, garages want vehicles that are serviced to be ready for collection or else collected and paid for. There is no benefit to a garage in changing brake pads or any other part for that matter, which didn't need to be replaced.

There is the turnaround factor alright, but I've seen it myself on a number of cars where there's been nothing wrong with the brake pads, yet they were changed when the car was in for a service. I suppose the garage can take it that they should be changed if they think that they won't last until the next service. It should be obvious that a set of brake pats only has a few weeks left in them - they're almost totally shot at that stage and should've been replaced.

Hmmm... Thinking about it now, the cars I'm thinking of could well have been dealer serviced, which could account for something...

Advertisement