Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'neill

Options
  • 14-05-2007 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Wat actually happened with that character? Why did he leave? i never actually found out,and what was the real reason richard dean anderson left the show? he was the only good thing about the show, i know this has prob been asked many times before and for that im sorry but i really need to know. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

RDA decided to quit the show to spend more time with his family, IIRC. He started to have a reduced involvement at the start of Season 8 when O'Neill took on the rank of Brigadier General overseeing the SGC. Later, at the start of Season 9 RDA decided to quit altogether, and the character was promoted to Major General and moved to the Pentagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

I remember watching the episode of Atlantis with RDA and Woolsey trapped on atlantis.... and i thought he was looking very very old in some of those scenes.
    Maybe he felt he was getting too old to portray a front line commando type character.

Just my opinion tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

and the character was promoted to Major General and moved to the Pentagon.

That never really made sense to me..... Would they not have been better off killing him off while saving earth.... its not like that means much in Stargate , but I can never see O'Neill sitting behind a desk....

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

<quote>I remember watching the episode of Atlantis with RDA and Woolsey trapped on atlantis.... and i thought he was looking very very old in some of those scenes.
    Maybe he felt he was getting too old to portray a front line commando type character.

</quote>

Yep he was getting elderly and i think he knew that no 50 year old is gonna be running around going commando on alien asses, he could have stayed with SG1 too long and that would've been crapped

<quote>That never really made sense to me..... Would they not have been better off killing him off while saving earth.... its not like that means much in Stargate , but I can never see O'Neill sitting behind a desk....</quote>

Yep, maybe he could have ascended and fought the ori...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Yep, maybe he could have ascended and fought the ori...

Now that would have been excellent, ascended O'Neill, good god!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I too think he should have died saving the planet or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I too think he should have died saving the planet or something.
    Ya if that was done right it could have made an excellent episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im sure the idea was discussed at some stage - I imagine they didnt wanna stretch the ascension with O'niell. Seriously, he was some kind of hero; but not really ascension material if you get me. Too many dark spots, which is why he makes such a compelling character.

besides I liked it when they threw him in randomly. last few episodes there back when Daniel was Ori...great mono e mono there that made me remember why I watched this show all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Daknight

yeah he was getting old and all but it was annoying! stargate ended for me when he left,hopefully they will put him in the new films
    oh yeah btw i remember hearing that he was killed off,that someone said in the show that he died of cancer or something like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Also what I think would have been a better option, was if Mitchell was introduced while O'Neill was still around.That would have made things better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

That didn't work very well with Jonas and DJ. If they killed him off they'd have stopped him making any type of guest appearances which would've been a mistake in my opinion

Advertisement