Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Speakers not working??

Options
  • 14-05-2007 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm just looking for some help to fix my laptop speakers and get any ideas that I may not have thought of yet!

My laptop inbuilt speakers mysteriously stopped working on saturday.
    The problem is not my sound card or the drivers as external speakers work and so do headphones.
    I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them, I have also done a systems restore and still the problem persists.
    I just spent an hour getting to know a nice Indian girl from HP technical support who brought me through the same process again.
    She said the only solution now is to format the machine and if that doesent work return it for repair.
    I cant do this at the moment because I need my laptop to study for my finals as I have .Net and Sql server installed and need them at the moment.

So bar these options does anyone have any clever possible solutions to get me out of this?
    Any comments would be really appreciated.

Laptop Specs
    HP Pavillion dv9000
    Windows XP home
    Intel core duo 1.83
    Nividia Gforce 7600
    Conexant High definition audio
    2 gigs of Ram
    240 gig hd drive

Probably not needed but just said i'd through the specs in to help.

Thanks in advance I'm really stumpted by this problem and hope I dont have to get the speakers replaced.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

ive a hp laptop roughly the same spec as yours, and i have the same problem, no sound in the speakers, but headphones work grand. is yours under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Ya it's still under warrenty luckly enough.

But I need it for the next couple of weeks for my finals...
    I will probably have to send it back though which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

spoofilyj wrote:
    She said the only solution now is to format the machine and if that doesent work return it for repair.

Nonsense. If what you have already done hasn't fixed it, I don't see how doing a format will fix it.

TBH, it sounds like the speakers are gone, which is unusual.
    spoofilyj wrote:
    So bar these options does anyone have any clever possible solutions to get me out of this?
    Any comments would be really appreciated

Have you checked the blaringly obvious (no pun intended :D) such as the sound in control panel? Are you 100% certain all the volumes are up high (an that you are looking at all the devices present).

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

I wish it was something that simple but all the volume controls work fine. The external speakers i'm now using can be controlled by the task bar and hot keys.
    There is only one audio device installed on the machine and this is working properly too. Its wreaking my head but i guess i'll just have to suck it up and return it after my exams for repair.:mad:
    Oh well such is life with technology...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

If the sound is SigmaTel this issue can sometimes be resolved by uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them again. Sorted out the same issue on a Dell I had - no sound from speakers but earphones worked fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement