Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle lane design

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

proteus wrote:
    http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month

Engineering genius at work on cycle lanes!

My Favorites:
    April 2006
    March 2006
    April 2005
    Februrary 2005
    Nah the best one is May 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

proteus wrote:
    Cycle lane design
    They're designed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I really have to take a picture of this new one down the road from me, its a disgrace!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

Mucco wrote:
    They're designed?

Yes. Thats what makes them so funny.
    There's none of the half-assed paint-it-red and call it a cycle lane approach like over here. They pay attention to detail with each painted line and piece of street furniture placed according to a plan. It dosen't matter if the lane goes nowhere and will never be used!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, every 1st of the month, I tune in for a big smile. I have several near me I have been tempted to submit, too....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

That's funny, I was driving from Naas to Sallins yesterday and noticed the "cycle lane" they had "constructed" on the motorway bridge. It was basically your normal width road/bridge, with the cycle lane taking approx 1 meter off either side of the road. The damn road is narrow enough, I wouldn't like to be a cyclist trying to stay safe on that road.

And the madness continues on into Sallins where the lane mysteriously disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The one from Fairview into Dublin City center has plenty of photo ops. It would keep that site in material for quite some time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Aodh

Did anybody spot this article in The Sunday Times a couple of weeks ago?

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/features/article1746923.ece

I'd love to read the document from Transport for London that suggested cyclists who obeyed the rules of the road were more likely to be killed or injured than those who did not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

King Raam wrote:
    The one from Fairview into Dublin City center has plenty of photo ops. It would keep that site in material for quite some time.
    Or a video.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Aodh wrote:
    I'd love to read the document from Transport for London that suggested cyclists who obeyed the rules of the road were more likely to be killed or injured than those who did not.

It's probably to do with HGV drivers not seeing bikes.
    ie you stop at lights in front of a HGV. The driver doesn't see you and turns left across you, or simply drives over you. If you jump the lights, this doesn't happen. It's better to stay behind the HGV - I avoid them as much as possible.

M

Mucco wrote:
    It's probably to do with HGV drivers not seeing bikes.
    That's plausible. Another possible reason is that some cyclists are riding too close to the kerb, a position which makes them vulnerable to more threats than if they took a more assertive position on the road.

The ROTR tells cyclists to ride close to the kerb.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Or a video.

traffic looked quite heavy.
    I notice that you stayed on the road for the section where the cycle lane goes back onto the pavement at the point were North Strand Bowl used to be. I always use the road for that part. That section is pretty bad as you come up to the bridge as it gets quite tight. Also, the road just after that where the flats are has quite a few craters.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

November 2006 is the funniest.

King Raam wrote:
    traffic looked quite heavy.
    I notice that you stayed on the road for the section where the cycle lane goes back onto the pavement at the point were North Strand Bowl used to be. I always use the road for that part. That section is pretty bad as you come up to the bridge as it gets quite tight. Also, the road just after that where the flats are has quite a few craters.
    Actually the video was made by a friend of mine who's a bit fitter than me. But I cycle that route too.

You must stay on the road where the Bowl used to be as the 'cycle track' that's been placed there is an unlawful one. The sign is wrong. In any case, it runs right under the scaffolding of the construction site and the cycling area and pedestrian area are no longer marked. The cycle track after the bridge was removed by the city council. It was never a good one as it traversed some minor roads, often blocked by cars and the exit back to the roadway was frequently blocked by drinks industry trucks parked on the cycle track. Taxis will often try and force you into the craters just before the bus stop. It's important to take a controlling position before that point.

Advertisement