Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redesignated Regional Roads in south Dublin

Options
  • 13-05-2007 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

As an example, the R113 has been altered to follow a different course from the Kilakee Rd (which it used to follow) to Sandyford. The new part route follows the (now defunct) R823 for a good chunk of it's course. The R823 signs are all still up however. Does anyone know any other redesignated R roads in south Dublin which have actually been re-signed with the new numbers?

As an experiment I took the long way home today and instead of taking the M50 from Rathfarnham to Blanch, I took the new R113 (it's on the OS new maps) from Grange Rd all the way to it's northern terminus at the N4 (Liffey Valley) and by god, you would NOT want to be a foreigner trying to navigate it with an up to date map.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The R118 (City - Dun Laoghaire - .....) was extended to the M50 at Cherrywood. I don't know it it was re-signed or not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

murphaph wrote:
    As an example, the R113 has been altered to follow a different course from the Kilakee Rd (which it used to follow) to Sandyford. The new part route follows the (now defunct) R823 for a good chunk of it's course. The R823 signs are all still up however. Does anyone know any other redesignated R roads in south Dublin which have actually been re-signed with the new numbers?

The R403 apparently now ends at Weston, with the rest of its former route through Lucan now apparently the R835. This number doesn't show up on any road signs, the only ones with any number being one on the N4 off-slip for Lucan, one at the bottom of what used to be Tandy's Lane (blocked off by the dual carrigeway) which is rather overgrown with trees, and a now actually illegal sign on the one-way section passing Lucan Golf Club which signs a right-hand turn that has been prohibited for a couple of years now! All three read "R403".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The R835 always ran from Cooldrinagh (Weston) to where Woodies is. The R403 signs were erected in error (surprise surprise). The R835 is one of those roads whose number has never been signed, even though there are some decent signs along it. The direction signage at Woodies is motorway sized with all manner of destinations on it, but no bloody number! I wonder will it be signed when they install the ADS for the R136 as it approaches that junction (roadworks nearly conplete on the R136).

Interestingly (well, for me :o ) the R109 now no longer leaves Dublin City at all. It used to run from Heuston all the way to Lucan Village (Courtneys) via The Angler's Rest. It has now been truncated and the R121 extended from where it used to terminate on the R109 (bottom of Tinker's Hill) all the way to the R835 at Courtneys.

Normally I'm really negative wrt signage but SDCC are probably the most progressive urban LA in the RoI when it comes to signage. Fingal are probably the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

murphaph wrote:
    SDCC are probably the most progressive urban LA in the RoI when it comes to signage. Fingal are probably the worst.

No, I'd reserve that honour for Louth, for the ridiculously-proportioned and placed exit confirmation signs on the Dundalk bypass and for the unusual practice of adding a (much bigger) plate below speed limit signs bearing the message "Legal Speed Limit Please be Advised".

Advertisement