Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard gone, gone

Options
  • 13-05-2007 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

In December 2007 my warranty ran out on my iBook G4. In January this year I was contemplating selling my laptop for about 600euro. But later that month my computer started acting up. I was talking to a few people and eventually after a week I went to Mactivate in Blanchardstown where they informed me that it would cost almost 600euro to get a new logic board and service my laptop. This was a total blow to me and I then decided that I might sell it off to a friend for like a hundred euro.
    The other day I was informed by two people, that work in computers, that I could perhaps get a motherboard for approx 50euro on ebay. Then get somebody to put the new motherboard in my laptop in for perhaps about 150euro.

Does this seem right? What do I do to get a logicboard off ebay? What do I look for when getting one? Do I need to know a SN on my motherboard and then use it to search on ebay?

Anybody know of people that may work with macs in the North Wicklow Area? (Greystones preferably, If not South Dublin.)

Any other advice on the matter would be helpful.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think €50 is very optimistic for a fully working G4 iBook board on eBay. I would suggest that a tested working one would be between three and four times that before you pay for shipping.

Fitting it should be fine as long as you or whoever does it takes their time and has the right set of fiddly screwdrivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If it fits the specs of your iBook then it should work. It probably shouldn't go much higher seeing as it's untested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Model/P/N: 820-1832-A ??? Is this on those little chips that can be seen when you pull back the keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

'untested' = probably not working, with no return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I would suggest that a tested working one would be between three and four times that before you pay for shipping.
    Absolutely right,not a hope in hell of getting a "working" motherboard for anywhere near €50 ....the price of fitting the motherboard is probably accurate but when you start adding up all these figures is it really worth it?
    And in my experience anything listed as "untested" is bloody well tested and just a) doesnt work. or b) works intermitantly.

Advertisement