Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house with extension - what should I look for?

Options
  • 12-05-2007 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi

I'm in the process of buying a house at the moment (sale agreed) which has had an attic conversion and a conservatory extension built on to it.

Specifically, what documentation should I be looking for from the vendors to ensure all regulations have been met with regarding to both.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Certificates of compliance with planning permission & building regulations which your solicitor should be looking for from the vendors solicitor.

A certificate from your own architect/engineer in relation to boundaries.

Your solicitor should also be seeing to issues like outstanding water or sewage charges if applicable.

This is not really the right forum for this so I will send it over to the Accommodation and Property forum where Victor may hold on to it or might decide to pass it on to the legal forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

You can find archive details of planning permission for extensions on council websites. Good initial indication of whether planning was obtained etc

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some small alterations / extensions don't need planning permission.

Have a construction profession look at it, to ensure that it is constructed to at least a reasonable standard, but preferably to a standard where it complies with the planning permission, building regulations, best practice and anticipates future trends.

In particular one would look at the joint between old and new, damp, insulation and access. In the attic, floor to ceiling height may be an issue. It would be very nice to have the construction drawings and other documents, it would ensure a certain level of competence.

If the work is new, seek warranties, guarantees, etc. Teh builder should certify it is substantially in compliance with the design and the designer should certify it is substantially in compliance with the planning permission and building regulations.

The solicitor will need to do their usual checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭BennytheBall

Thanks guys for the info.

Advertisement