Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spend =<€1000 by Monday - recommendations?

Options
  • 12-05-2007 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

OK, I've a little under a grand to spend on a laptop, for general home/college/multimedia use. I know I could probably spend less, but the money's there, in a work-related budget, and I have to order something by Monday and submit an invoice to accounts, or it'll be gone ...'use it or lose it' kind of a situation. (If I'd known earlier, I might have joined those queues outside Aldi last week, but hey...)

So I see these two fairly similar offers:
    Toshiba Satellite P100-160 from laptopsdirect.ie — €832.27 delivered (i.e. €220 off, or so they say)
    Inspiron 9400 from Dell — from €879 delivered, 1-year return-to-base warranty). For €999, with a €100 off promo coupon, I can get it with a better graphics card and processor, but I dunno if it's really worth it. There'll be DVDs watched, but not a lot of high-end gaming action or anything like that (I'm far too old...:rolleyes:)

Your votes please, gentlemen? Or other suggestions? In particular, I don't really want/need Vista; I'd be happy to stick with XP Pro, which I have. Does anywhere do good deals w/o an OS, but with a warranty?

Oh, and I'm in Limerick, so (a) can't get to the likes of Peats to check out shop floor/Manager's Specials, and (b) although the Toshiba looks to me to edge it, a Dell return-to-base warranty obviously has a certain practical appeal. I've had a look in their outlet store but I don't really see any great deals there at the moment, once you factor in the VAT and delivery...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

After sleeping on it — the more I look at that Toshiba offer, the better I like it.... The same machine is €1,076.72 incl. delivery on dabs.ie.

Anyone say nay? Anyone had any bad experiences with Toshiba/laptopsdirect.ie?

peckerhead wrote:
    Anyone had any bad experiences with Toshiba/laptopsdirect.ie?

There was a large thread here before lambasting the customer service, eh, service that laptopsdirect.ie had before. Unsure whether they've made improvements since those complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I bought a cheapo 20GB mp3 player off them about 6 months ago and found them fairly good to deal with, but of course I was buying a new product, not complaining about a defective one... :D

As against that, their Toshiba Pro laptops also qualify for the Toshiba Moneyback deal (UK & RoI customers), which might sweeten the pill somewhat if I did happen to have a component failure within the first year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I've a Toshiba A100-027, €800 from Dixons. I use it for internet, DVDs, photos and music and it's great. You can get it on Dixon's website and PC World's (probably Curry's as well, it's all the one company). I think PC World are dearer though.

Advertisement