Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy DART

Options
  • 12-05-2007 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been on the new DARTs? (ie the old ones that have been refurbished). I can't handle them at all. Accompanying each door close is a howling siren lasting 8-10 seconds. The sound pressure level must be well above 90dB (I have a friend with a dB meter which I will borrow asap and actually go and find out).

As far as I can see there's no law preventing this. If anything, the eu directives I've seen seem to allow them make announcements and warning sirens much much louder! For example by making an "average over the working day" not exceed 80dB, but peak could be 135dB and that would still be fine.

Does anyone know if there are laws against being an obnoxious bollox to hard pressed commuters????

Personally I was sick of the shouted announcements about the "next station is Connolly station, change here....". Especially when the next station was Dalkey or something. I've heard announcements like this: "Would passengers please stop complaining about the volume of the announcements"

I'm buying a car...

(yeah, boards.ie is here for my personal rant :rolleyes: )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I don't like the new carriages because the seats are uncomfortable and the backs are too high, so talent spotting is severely restricted!

Old carriages, FTW. Luas carriages best!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

carveone wrote:
    For example by making an "average over the working day" not exceed 80dB, but peak could be 135dB and that would still be fine.)
    But 135dB is 316,227 times lounder than 80dB
    1/10th of a second at 135dB averaged is 80dB for 8 hours 47 minutes so it would have to be a very short peak ?

/pedant

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I don't like the new carriages because the seats are uncomfortable and the backs are too high, so talent spotting is severely restricted!

Old carriages, FTW. Luas carriages best!
    they've got new carriages now and reinstated the old seats, i've only seen the carriages once but for as new darts go these are quite cool.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Haven't been on those, but there's a couple of DARTs where the volume on the internal loudspeaker is ridiculously high. If I'm listening to my Zen, I have to pause it during the announcements and have at times felt queasy such is the volume.

If you're now telling me they've added a siren to the racket they produce...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Same thing in the Dundrum Shopping Centre too - TV sound too low, and stupid announcements painfully high.

Though on transport a volume level of about 100dB is necessary to make sure it's heard when crowded etc. for safety reasons. I actually think the volume on the LUAS is far too low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

they've got new carriages now and reinstated the old seats, i've only seen the carriages once but for as new darts go these are quite cool.

Cremo, those "new" darts are the original dart which are heading for 25 years old. They just got refurbnished. They are not new at all!!! They did a good job though, so good that you thought they were new! :)

Advertisement