Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Accent, comments?

Options
  • 11-05-2007 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have or has had a Hyundai Accent circa 00? Whats your overall opinion as far as reliability, performance, common problems, etc goes? Any input or comments appreciated. Also what do you reckon would be a fair price to pay for a circa 99 1.3 model, thanks much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

I think they are often regarded as one of the worst on the roads. I'm sure it was voted worst car by top gear at some point.
    That said, I have one and TBH I love it. It's my first car so I wanted something cheap that I wouldn't mind getting the odd knock. The 2000 model is completely different from the 99 though so I don't know how much my experence would be of value.

The only thing that's gone wrong with mine was the alternator went.

For a 99 model (depeding on milage) I'd be looking to get it for 2-2.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

I had a 2000 model Accent as my first car. It was cheep and cheerful. The only problem I had was with the mass air flow sensor. It caused the engine to back fire and loose power temporarily when pulling away from traffic lights etc. Brought it into a Hyundai garage and was replaced in 20 minutes, the garage where I bought it from picked up the tab under a warranty  Turns out it is a common problem for the 2000/2001 models.

Another thing to be conscious of is that the car is light, light panels and light frame. It might not seem important but on a windy day makes for seat of your pants motoring and not in a fun way.

If you looking for something cheep as a runabout for city/town etc it should serve you well. If you’re looking for a car for longer runs across country take a look at some other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mike07

Had a 99 until very recently for almost 4 years-- Only issue was the alternator-- If you are not pushed about looks it is an exceptionally reliable car--- I sold for 2 K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

drive3331 wrote:
    I had a 2000 model Accent as my first car. It was cheep and cheerful. The only problem I had was with the mass air flow sensor.

Ditto with the maf sensor on my last car (2000-reg 1.3l 3-door). Otherwise no problems with the car at all for the 18months or so I had it and nothing I can really fault, it did the job quite well (including several 6+ hour drives), average petrol-consumption wise, used to get just over the 320mile mark from a tank (~30euro at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Kali wrote:
    Ditto with the maf sensor on my last car (2000-reg 1.3l 3-door). Otherwise no problems with the car at all for the 18months or so I had it and nothing I can really fault, it did the job quite well (including several 6+ hour drives), average petrol-consumption wise, used to get just over the 320mile mark from a tank (~30euro at the time).
    I had a 98 accent for about two years as my first car. Never had any trouble with it whatsoever - like what has been said, cheap and cheerful. Got it cheap, and put 15k up on the clock - brought me from one end of the country to the other. Easy car to work on too, and I know nothing about engines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Ive never had one or driven one but two friends of mine have owend one and both found them horrible to drive. Id say you could find a better car. If you know someone selling one that you trust could be ok to buy if you get a good price on it but if not id say looking elsewhere might be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Ok thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated, didn't know anyone thats owned one. I went ahead and got one (it was for a friend, not myself, just doing her a favour), your man wanted 1900 but I got him down to 1400 which seems like a good price going on your estimates. MAF sensors been replaced at some stage already so hopefully she won't have to worry about that in the forseable future and tested the alternator, running fine at present.

It's due a timing belt though, have any of you replaced a TB on one before, or have any advice in regards to changing one?

Advertisement