Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed display camera in D15

Options
  • 11-05-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

Yesterday evening I was going by my old haunt in D15, the road is long, quite narrow, mostly single solid white line down the centre and a 50kmh limit as it passes between lots of housing estates, and 2 schools.

When I saw one of those speed cameras which display the speed your doing on a sign - similar to those seen at roadworks. I think there's one on the M50 southbound betwen the N4 (Liffey Valley) and N7 (Red Cow) junctions. This seemed to be on a fixed pole, but TBH I didn't spot it till late, and I was too surprised! Didn't make any odds as I wasn't speeding.

Is it up long? have others seen it? Who put it up NRA or council?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

They tell you your speed, they don't record it and send you points and a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

testicle wrote:
    They tell you your speed, they don't record it and send you points and a fine.

I know that, it's just that I've never seen one before where:
    i) There wasn't roadworks
    ii) A change in speed limits

Is this a new development in speed awareness?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

There's been a couple of them in Sallynoggin near Dun Laoghaire for years. They're sponsored by Axa, and are a pretty good idea I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

Borzoi wrote:
    I know that, it's just that I've never seen one before where:
    i) There wasn't roadworks
    ii) A change in speed limits

Is this a new development in speed awareness?
    Was it on the Diswellstown Road in Carpenterstown? The speed limit there is 50kph while people regularly cruise down the road at 80-110kph+

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's one near St. Anne's Park as you come into Raheny. Must be a nightmare for the poor bastards doing their driving test in that area :) It actually tends to display a speed that's a good bit lower than what my speedometer tells me, I thought I was doing a little over 40mph (old speedo), but the sign told me I was doing 55kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Most speedometers are optimistic by 5-10%... Better off being that way than the other I suppose... So if your speedo says 62km/h, chances are that you won't get done in a speed trap as in reality you're probably only doing 58 or 59...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

fletch wrote:
    Was it on the Diswellstown Road in Carpenterstown? The speed limit there is 50kph while people regularly cruise down the road at 80-110kph+

Agreed - prats :rolleyes:
    I was caught up in the middle of what looked like a race on sunday evening along there - it was only 7pm :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

fletch wrote:

That's the one alright. There is a type of motoorist who use that road as a bit of speedway, but I suspect that they won't be detered by a display camera. But good for the rest of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

is that the one with the long bridge road between the apartment complexes? ..diswellstwon road

C_Breeze wrote:
    is that the one with the long bridge road between the apartment complexes? ..diswellstwon road
    Yeh it is

• Advertisement

Ah yes , thats a good road to tear down

edit: just joking. I drive down that road quite frequently and havent noticed it yet, must take a better look.

Its too dangerous to speed on anyway, yet I always see people flying down it.

What always has me scared is that the moment I reach the top of the 'hill' , I always think i'll see a Garda with a speed gun ahead.

Would be a fairly easy road for them to raise some revenue on

Saw these cameras at the weekend(they've now erected one in the opposite direction too) and they're all but invisible as the trees block your view of them. Is there any plans to trim the trees so they are easier to see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 meeeboards

Anyone know how they work?

I must be blind, i was looking out for them but havent seen them at all! :confused:

C_Breeze wrote:
    I must be blind, i was looking out for them but havent seen them at all! :confused:
    They are quite hard to see in fairness and are very high up
    They're here

So what do they do exactly?? ..

C_Breeze wrote:
    So what do they do exactly?? ..
    They tell you how fast you are driving :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

South Tipp CC have a bunch of those on the N24, I found the van was underreading by 6%. Or the sign was overreading by 6%!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I'm convinced some of the signs have no sensor, they just show you a figure that is close to the average speed. Watch a fast car and relatively slow car approach one after the other for both to be told they are doing 55 in a 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

These signs are far from accurate, so don't put a lot of store by their readings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Can't say I agree, was chasing a a boy in a stolen car on the M50, sensor sign said I was at 182 kph, trying to catch up to him in the squad. Was fairly accurate, down 3-5% on my own speed. (and no, I don't always drive that fast!)

Advertisement