Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clock numerals?

Options
  • 11-05-2007 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend where I can pick up some clock numerals. Axminster only seem to do the complete face, I ordered a few from craft supplies but their only 20mm and delivery takes two weeks.Turners retreat charge more for delivery than the product. I'm looking for 1 inch in size, the stick on type in black.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The closest option would be Philip J Dix on the quays (6 Aston Quay, phone 01-6717144) who does clock numerals (as well as clock movements and hands). I've got their 'catalogue' and it would appear the biggest they do in black is 16mm. They have the larger sizes, 21mm and 25mm in gold only. Give them a ring though, they might have other variations as well. Their shop is well tucked away, so beware!

Otherwise, there's a company called Meantime Design that I've bought stuff off before at the Axminster Show that do these and a whole lot more besides. They have a website at www.meantimedesign.com. I've never bought anything on-line from them, so don't know what the postage situation is like.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I've bought stuff from that place on the Quays before also, well tucked away is a good description!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks lads, I'll try both.

Just an update to say dix on aston quay don't have the numerals, although I managed to pick up 15mm in petes on parnell street, of all places. Tiny though, I may have to reduce my plans.I also got a 30mm stencil in easons which may come in handy if i decide to burn the numbers. I couldn't understand though how no one seems to have roman numerals in a stencil, untill my other half pointed out that romans only have X,V and I.God I felt like a twat.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Central Technolgies Supplies have Roman and Decimal Numerals in 16mm and 10mm. www.centraltechsupplies.ie
    I order clock parts off them for school, and find them very quick to deliver and respond to emails.

Q.

• Advertisement

dubtom wrote:
    Just an update to say dix on aston quay don't have the numerals ...
    That's odd, they're in their catalogue :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I've made clocks (very few) in the past using ceramic tiles for the face/ dial; I used to use "letraset" to apply the numerals, don't know if that's an option for you or if you can even get letraset anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

have you tried :
    http://www.clockparts.co.uk/
    they have almost everything !!

geofftulip wrote:
    have you tried :
    http://www.clockparts.co.uk/
    they have almost everything !!
    Do they deliver here? They only mention 'mainland UK' on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

alun - i actually posted the wrong link - i got some from the following and they do deliver to north anyway - i would think clockparts would aswell - they arnt big packages anyway so shouldnt be too expensive
    try
    http://www.budetime.co.uk/

• Advertisement

Living here, Geoff, nothing would surprise me when it comes to P&P charges. You could send a package from Lands End to John O'Groats for less than you could send it from Holyhead to Dublin! Usually NI is charged at the same rate as for the 'mainland' UK, but sometimes they charge extra.

If the same parcel has to go to Dundalk, say, instead of Newry, a distance of a few miles, then all of a sudden it costs 5 times as much to send it ... sheer lunacy!

I had browsed clock parts Geoff but they seem to have a strange way for you to order, type in part numbers on a list etc, none of their parts seem to have parts numbers listed and aren't clickable, so i gave up.I had ordered from craft supplies, I have to say axminster leave them in the hapenny place in regards delivery, i recieved axminsters order 4 days after I ordered, delivered free,I have recieved an email from craft saying it will take 14 days at least, I still don't know how much they will charge.For the time being i have enough bits to be going on with but i'll try the other links mentioned, can they be any worse than craft?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Stanirish

If you go into Richard Gough, he should be able to order them for you from the Turners Retreat, and get them delivered with his next Sorby order, so carriage should not be a problem - any probs, drop me an e-mail, can get any product up to 30kgs, delivered by fastway nationwide for 10 euro, so could make up order for you etc

Advertisement