Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUB T2 and the A380

Options
  • 10-05-2007 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I have no idea what made me think of this , will the new T2 be able to handle the A380 , ie does it have the double gates / wing span clearance between gates etc ?

I know no one is planning to use it to here , but in the future anything could happen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Im sure the a 380 operation would be built into the specs.

it may not have a "stand" configuration capable of accomodating but would have
    the ability to handle such a beast by restricting other stands.

In other words T2 might have 10 contact stands,but if an A380 was on one of them that might reduce to 6 or 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Would 28/10 be able to hold it more like :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

An A380 would not even get off the ground on 28/10. Runway is not long enough. It would only ever land here for maintanence without pax.

Also there is no need for an A380 to ever land here, not yet anyway.

It will probably visit Shannon more than Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Its already been to Shannon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Indeed it has. Fairly tight turn on takeoff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

PCros... No need ?

That's a little bit like saying , oh we will only ever need 2 lanes on the M50 isn't it ? :)

Maybe Dublin will become a hub like Dubai in the future :), after all if you asked people 25 years ago they would never have guessed Dubai would be the international cross-roads it has become now.

I didn't know the 380 req such a long runway , thinking about it the 340-600 seemed to take forever to take off last time I was as Pudong, I assume the wings are similar ??

I would really hope they think about these things when building the new terminal rather than leaving it to the usual , ' ah I am sure we will manage '.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Just out of interest are any of them being sold to airlines in the full 800 pax configuration? Every order Ive read about has been around 500 pax will that be the max?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Having done a few long haul flights (four 747s trans Atlantic, trans Pacific) recently there is no way on earth I would ever want to be on an airliner that had 600 people on board never mind 800.
    Just imagine the hassels and time involved in boarding & disembarking etc etc.
    Ok two gates but just imagine queues at immigration control, customs, baggage reclaim, etc etc...
    Probably Ireland's best chance of having a major hub was RyanAir taking over Aer Lingus where the Ryan Air fleet would have fed into an Aer Lingus trans Atlantic fleet?
    Regarding new terminal in Dublin, when was the last time something built in Ireland was future proofed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I just dread to think what check in would be like. The long hauls now are just dreadful ......can you imagine 600 people trying to check in , and as usual the ground handling people decide ' oh 4 desks are enough ' , and ' we don't need to open the desks until 2.5 hrs before departure ' ......

I have been smiling every time I see the promo from EADS showing bars/shops on the aircraft , bet ya the airline bosses are thinking , hmm 800 seats ..... $$$$$$

JAL used to have 500 odd on their 747 SR aircraft didn't they ? ( used on internal Japan flights ), I heard they used to use the lower ( cargo/crew rest ) area for seats but that may have been a urban myth.

Actually, thinking about it , what sector in the world would warrent 800 seats on one flight , and wouldn't airlines prefer the flexability of 2 * 400 seats instead ?

As for the double gates , they are already in use in the new ( A380 ) gates at LHR , one gate for business/first , one for cattle class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Why did that A380 turn so sharply after take off? theres not highground or something there is there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement