Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rental aesthetics

Options
  • 10-05-2007 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hi, quick question for people

If we as tenants in a property change the netting behind the curtains ( not the curtains themselves) .. is it fair for the landlord to demand we change them back to what they were?

He came today after we spent 2 months chasing him about fixing a window ( it wouldn't close properly which is a pretty important security feature in any house )

When he came over he gave out about the carpets not being hovered.. and that we had changed the net curtains in one upstairs bedroom..............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

i would say yes, you would be meant to leave the house as you got it, that would include curtains and linings.

but, i'm sure 99% of landlords would be happy you made a change, if it looks better and they did't have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Fixtures and Fittings should be listed on an inventory and checked when you move in and move out. Anything missing and or damaged since you moved in, taking into account normal wear and tear, should be deducted from the deposit or paid for.

As for changing them while your there, its none of his business, as long as you have the original curtains and plan on putting them back up when you move out then its not an issue.

As for the carpets not being hoovered, he can go and take a running jump.

I've this exact same problem with my landlord at the moment, the rear support on the couch snapped a couple of weeks ago and we can't get him to repair/replace it because the flat is "messy".

After a bit of research unless the flat is in such a condition that its causing damage in excess of normal of wear and tear on the internal fittings then the "tidiness" of it is irrelevant.

We put all this in a nice letter and gave him 14days to fix the couch or we would go and source a new one at his expense.

I've yet to get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

calsatron wrote:
    Fixtures and Fittings should be listed on an inventory and checked when you move in and move out. Anything missing and or damaged since you moved in, taking into account normal wear and tear, should be deducted from the deposit or paid for.

As for changing them while your there, its none of his business, as long as you have the original curtains and plan on putting them back up when you move out then its not an issue.

This would be my take on it also, of course IANAL and YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

That was my thinking along those lines yes, we have the oringal ones still.
    The place is actually tidier than when we moved in as the cupboards in the kitchen were a disaster had to scrub and disinfect the lot it was disgusting.

After thinking about it and the delay in him fixing the windows we just have had enough and handed in our notice. 3 months to fix a window is a joke and has to be a breach of contract after contacting him on over 6 occasions.

Advertisement