Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madrid M30 inner ring motorway project done

Options
  • 10-05-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have a look at this:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=367380

The project to transform the M30 into underground tunnels is now finished.
    The works will continue to recover the river environment but the cars are no longer going over the surface.

With this done, the Dublin Port Tunnel is no longer the biggest in Europe...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

that's feckin amazing. It really puts our wonderful celtic tiger in perspective when you see how spain has actually endeavoured to improve the quality of life for its people with projects like that. Madrid is also likely to have the largest metro system in Europe within 2 decades. Phenomenal spirit which must be admired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

We are just a pack of cowboys compared to that - that park is amazing..

And only 3.2 million people there??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

And only 3.2 million people there??!!

I think the urban area population of Madrid is about 5.5 million (see the Wikipedia article).

I spent six months there as a student, and it was and still is the most incredible place. I was actually there just this weekend gone, and I'm more impressed than ever. In the past month, they've opened (by my reckoning) 26 (yes, twenty-six!!!) metro stations:

http://www.metromadrid.es/acc_resources/pdfs/Plano_Metro_2007.pdf
    Line 3: Legazpi to Villaverde - 7 stations (opened 21/04/07)
    Line 7: Las Musas to Henares - 7 stations (opened 05/05/07)
    Line 8: Airport T4 - 1 station (opened 03/05/07)
    Line 10: Metronorte after Fuencarral - 11 stations (opened 26/04/07)

One of the stations on line 7 is even called "Estadio Olímpico" (Olympic Stadium) and they haven't even hosted the Olympics yet! Expect to see another bid for 2016, although it might be Asia's or America's turn then. Talk about taking balls in hand and going for things? Now that's what I call "cojones"!

They make us look like a little kindergarten country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Jamax wrote:
    Hi all,

Have a look at this:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=367380

The project to transform the M30 into underground tunnels is now finished.
    The works will continue to recover the river environment but the cars are no longer going over the surface.

With this done, the Dublin Port Tunnel is no longer the biggest in Europe...
    thats all well and good but is the height of their tunnel 4.9 metres or only 4.6 metres:)

Advertisement