Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is in Mahon Point?

Options
  • 10-05-2007 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I hear it's the biggest shopping centre around these parts, but I've never been to it. Is it any good? How long does it take to get there?

Also are there any toyshops there...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

No toyshops like Smyths but I'm sure there is a creche there where you could play with toys!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭julesrtc

http://www.mahonpointsc.ie/

Lists everything there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

In my opinion Mahon Point is fairly weak, it aims to the female market (like most shopping centres do). Being a bloke I find very few good things about the place, I usually end up over in PC World,Curry's and Halfords. There is only 1 music shop and that is very poor (Golden Discs) and only one book shop (Easons) which only stock the main titles and magazines.

Facilities wise: Very clean and lots of toilets/baby changing facilities are good.
    One bad point: For parents with toddlers there are very limited numbers of high chairs around the food court..seriously low amount!

On the good points, it is nice and spacious and our toddler loves it, she can walk around the place with us which is great because she hates the buggy!

There is plenty of parking and the cinema is very good albeit on the pricey side.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'd agree it's a disaster. Mainly catering for women, and not enough proper retail stores. There are 2 pharmacies and 1 Chinese Medicine Store, a Credit Union, 11 restaurant/food resellers, and Omniplex, 1 Newsagent, 3 shops selling Men's suits, leaving you with a handful of units left in the shopping centre to actually have some variety with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think that its grand if you have to get something, beats the hell of going into town... However if you're over there to browse, you'll be bored in about half an hour... There is a serious lack of men's shops over there, if it wasn't for the cinema & me having a buddy working over there, i'd never go over...

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote:
    I'd agree it's a disaster. Mainly catering for women, and not enough proper retail stores. There are 2 pharmacies and 1 Chinese Medicine Store, a Credit Union, 11 restaurant/food resellers, and Omniplex, 1 Newsagent, 3 shops selling Men's suits, leaving you with a handful of units left in the shopping centre to actually have some variety with.

there is only 1 pharmacy in Mahon Point and that's in Sam McCauley's. Boots don't have a pharmacy in their outlet <AFAIK>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

How long does it take to get there by bus though from city center?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

there is only 1 pharmacy in Mahon Point and that's in Sam McCauley's. Boots don't have a pharmacy in their outlet <AFAIK>

Boots are waiting on their license I think.

As for bus times, traffic can be absolutely brutal in the evenings, and there've been times where I've passed the bus walking and arrived quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

only good thing is Bershka clothes shop thats it,oh and the cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Was there on Sat and boots was opened..by the cinema entrance door..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I went there to day, urgh, it was horrible. What a depressing place to bring kids it must be, not toys anywhere not even in Tescos only one I've seen without them, and not just one but two places where you can just dump them and forget about it.

But mainly, I didn't find my USB -> Ethernet adapter. Argh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Did you check in PC World in the retail park across the road?

Femmy wrote:
    Was there on Sat and boots was opened..by the cinema entrance door..

i know it's open but they are not processing prescriptions (not a pharmacy) but as someone here said they are waiting on a licence).

Rozie wrote:
    How long does it take to get there by bus though from city center?

Not too long, something like 20 minutes or so on the number 10... obviously it does depend on traffic and the like as well...
    Rozie wrote:
    What a depressing place to bring kids it must be, not toys anywhere not even in Tescos only one I've seen without them

There is actually, right down at the very back, on the left (next to the wines..) However its only 1 shelf worth, pretty rubbish tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dmac0202

Mahon Point really isn't worth the traffic headache that it takes to get there. Whoever planned the traffic management for that site should be sacked.

dmac0202 wrote:
    Mahon Point really isn't worth the traffic headache that it takes to get there. Whoever planned the traffic management for that site should be sacked.

Too right... I can cycle there so it doesn't affect me, but its ridiculous to think that the biggest shopping centre in munster (apparently) has only 1 entrance and 1 exit..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

dmac0202 wrote:

If by sacked you mean strung up by the testicles, I agree.

You'd wonder how hard it would have been to have an exit from the south ring directly into mahon point, or from mahon point to the south ring eastbound. Or how hard it would have been to have a second exit at the far side. The sequencing on the lights is retarded too. If you're coming from town, why can't you turn left into mahon point at the same time traffic is coming out? The pedestrian light is red anyway and afaik there is a left filter light already there.

TBH I think Cork traffic lights are timed to create jams.....

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The technical reason would be that by the time the traffic gets to go right out of Mahon Point you have been stopped for a while if you then get a left filter it will have to be extinguished when the cars come out of the retail park (theycan go left, straight and right) and thus the usual continuity of having a filter followed by a red-light is lost as you'd have : red, red + filter, red , green +filter, green. (all these sequences are viewed from the point of waiting to go left into Mahon Point) .

But this will only get worse when the other units open up...

Technical schmechnical*. If it helps ease the traffic coming out of town they should do it.

*I'm sure that's a word.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Technical schmechnical*.

*I'm sure that's a word.

I'm sure it is too. Yiddish is a vibrant language and has already embraced such tech advances as the iPod (schmipod) , mobile phone (schmobile) , wifi (scmifi) (you can see where this goes.....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

No point too mahon point...get the point!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

era its ok if you know what your looking for aka girls clothes the only good this is berksha the girls clothes shop love that place.bout it really there is not much there bar the over priced cinema which i still attend sadly. the traffic lights are a disaster too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Good lord, does anyone have anything good to say about anything these days?
    It's a shopping mall, better than Wilton, better than Douglas Court (although I have heard there's more shops there recently), ok, not as good as town, but if you want to go pushing through the crowds of people in town, go for it. I'd rather wait 10 minutes by traffic lights in Mahon Point than 20 minutes trying to find a parking spot in town any day of the week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I think there are plenty of shops for men there - you have Debenhams, Next, French Connection, Lacoste, and a couple more upstairs!
    As Dizzy said, I'd prefer to face the traffic going out to Mahon Point, than the traffic jams and car space hunt on going into town.
    Although that said - I do prefer Douglas Court sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

MP is grand, easier than Blackpool to get to as well. The men's shopping is none too shabby either, and the cinema is comfy.

The only beef I have with the place is that they didn't get a proper Eddie Rocket's

*sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

It is nice and easy to get to. Nothing to do there after the cinema though.

cAr0l wrote:
    I think there are plenty of shops for men there - you have Debenhams, Next, French Connection, Lacoste, and a couple more upstairs!

Plenty of shops for gay men! Where are the Maplins with their obscure electronic bits that you always think will come in handy? Where are the sound stores with all the big tellys and surrond systems we need the obscure electronic bits for? Where are the auto factors with tonnes of **** we'll never get around to using on our cars? Shopping for clothes takes 5 minutes - we could spend hours in proper shops.

And why is there always some muppet parked in the motorcycle parking at the front of the car park when there's a virtually empty car park an extra 60 seconds walk away? Or have I answered my own question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Plenty of shops for gay men! Where are the Maplins with their obscure electronic bits that you always think will come in handy? Where are the sound stores with all the big tellys and surrond systems we need the obscure electronic bits for? Where are the auto factors with tonnes of **** we'll never get around to using on our cars?
    Phase 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Where are the Maplins with their obscure electronic bits that you always think will come in handy?

Blackpool. And for the hobby electronic enthusiast, they're a boon. It saves me ordering from Farnell/Radionics.
    Where are the sound stores with all the big tellys and surrond systems we need the obscure electronic bits for?

Over in Mahon Retail Park.
    Where are the auto factors with tonnes of **** we'll never get around to using on our cars?

Over in Mahon Retail Park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

I used to work in Mahon Point. I rarely go there now.

For lads, to be entirely honest theres not really that much like.
    Although I'm well chuffed that they got a bigish Boots in. Means I can get a lot more there.

Na, theres no toy shops which is a bit wick. They have a creche at the back, and these annoying cars at a rip of price €4 for an hour. They're rather hard to manouver around some shops.

Food court is excellent though. Got everything except a Subway.
    But to be honest, its not a day job, more like 2-3 hours and your done.

Advertisement