Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spec details of second hand cars

Options
  • 10-05-2007 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Am researching changing my Audi A4 tdi for a BMW 320d. Coming across alot of different specs like ES, SE, MTec, Sport etc. etc. and haven't a bleddy clue what the differences are between them all. Is there a website that houses this kind of information?

And does anyone have any views on the Beemer versus the Audi, I'm looking for the 150bhp version and as well specced a version as possible for about 19k...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

From my limited knowledge:

SE - Special Edition. Basicly mean's its not the poverty spec model, there are extra's but they vary... You need to ask exact extras

MTec - This is body styling. A 320d MTec will have the MTec body-kit... It looks lovely!

I have a 150BHP 320d and I love it. Put it this way, i'm in no rush to sell it anyhow. The 2002's were prone to Turbo failure so do your research. I was about to walk away from my 2002 until I did a Service History check and found out that it had a brand new engine and turbo fitted in 2004 - happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Am researching changing my Audi A4 tdi for a BMW 320d. Coming across alot of different specs like ES, SE, MTec, Sport etc. etc. and haven't a bleddy clue what the differences are between them all. Is there a website that houses this kind of information?

And does anyone have any views on the Beemer versus the Audi, I'm looking for the 150bhp version and as well specced a version as possible for about 19k...

Thanks!

Afaik the ES, SE and Sport 3 Series models only appeared in Ireland from 2002/2003 when BMW took over distribution of the marque in Ireland themselves. This brought them into line with UK models.

I think you had the standard base model followed next by the ES model, then the SE and Sport. The MTec kit I think was available as an optional extra across the range and consisted of unique deeper front and rear bumpers and side skirts , 18" unique alloy wheels, rear boot spoiler and lowered suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

ES gave Aircon, Front Fogs and Alloys.

SE gave Climate, MFSW, PDC, Auto Dipping Interior Mirror, Full Electrics, Front Fogs, Alloys, Armrest.

Sport/M gave the same as SE, but with 17" Wheels, Body Kit, Sport Seats, Sport Steering Wheel, Sport Gear Lever, Anthracite Headlining.

Beware, some people advertising cars as Mtec, or Sport only have the body kit fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Have a look at www.bmw.ie that should give a lot of info.
    All this ad-on letters can indeed be a pain in the neck if you don't really know what they mean. Best have a look at few cars and you will pick it up very quick of what extras do they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Cheers guys thanks for that, incidentally, what are the pros and cons of going for the BMW over the Audi?

I've been very happy with the Audi I must say in terms of build quality, performance and economy, but I always seem to want to change my car after a year, I get bored quickly! I'll only be changing if the net cost of change is a few hundred or so though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I don't think you can think of it in terms of pros and cons. Both are excellent cars. Weight up the usual arguments, equipment, consumption, performance, style, and make your own mind up. You'll be the one driving it after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Well for a start the 320d has 150BHP, what does the Audi have?
    I found most Irish 320d's to be total poverty spec's which is a let down, try to get as high spec as possible (Goes without saying really)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

The Audi has 130bhp and it's pretty good performance wise, does about 55mpg too.
    I had been considering the 320d at the time I bought it (about a year ago) but my budget didn't stretch to the 150bhp model then, only the previous lower-powered model.

A friend of mine is selling a 2002 320d MTec for about 19k, 70k miles, very good condition, if I got a decent price for the Audi (also a 2002 but in good as opposed to pristine condition) I'd consider going for it.

A change is good as a rest!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ned78 wrote:
    ES gave Aircon, Front Fogs and Alloys.

SE gave Climate, MFSW, PDC, Auto Dipping Interior Mirror, Full Electrics, Front Fogs, Alloys, Armrest.

Mine must just be the ES spec, but also has a MFSW and arm rest - though these may have been options when it was first bought - and mine is older than when bazz26 says the designations were bought in. Would highly recommend one anyway. I also start looking around every year, and was considering a change again recently, but decided against it - I just like the car too much.

The main problem I had with the lower spec was that the interior was so drab.

It had really boring grey plastic trim on the doors, the dash, gear knob and handbrake plus nasty grey vinyl gaiters, all of which I replaced.

Edit: I forgot - the "alloys" were horrible looking things that looked more like hubcaps. They were the first to go.

Advertisement