Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravity Wave, spectacular cloud formations

Options
  • 10-05-2007 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭

I never heard of a gravity wave until I saw this. Definitely worth a look!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Check out this fire tornado :eek: I dont mean to hijack your thread that was impressive and all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

No worries, I just thought people might like to see it.

PS glad I wasn't anywhere near that fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Hal1 wrote:
    Check out this fire tornado :eek: I dont mean to hijack your thread that was impressive and all. :)
    A common occurance in the forest fires.
    Seen a prog before on nat geo when two massive rows of hay bails in the states caught fire and generated one of these fire tornados.
    Unlike normal twisters when air masses interact,these are fuelled by oxygen.The bigger it became the faster the intake of air and was just as powerful as a twister.Fire brigades could do nothing about it as fear of them being sucked in they let it burn itself out, and soaked the surrounding countryside instead as its stationary where its fuel source is(fire) while twisters as we know them travel about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Wow that was impressive. It was hardly gravity though, surely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

That is actually a common occurance all over the world. The almost unifrom dive in the cloud base is most associated with violent thunderstorms. These can also be called 'super cells'. We never see these in Ireland but they are frequent in the deep south in the US. Literally they are like waves as the atmoshere is very disorted between cold and warm air. Incidentally the video you have linked is condusive to tornado development.

• Advertisement
Advertisement