Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creaking stairs

Options
  • 09-05-2007 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hi
    i had a new staircase installed last year which looks very unsatisfactory to me.however i am no expert,i just hand over the money.i had a carpenter have a quick look at it and he said no screws should be used in the construction of a staircase.i am finding it hard to verify this.anybody have an opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to Gardening/DIY.

That looks pretty shoddy.

/edit. Damn it. Delly, could you move this to woodcraft please. Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 wornout

sorry
    did not realise there was a forum for woodcraft.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

A bit rough, and I am talking about the language by the replier!!!! Steady on!!! This person is looking for help here!!

Yes, it does look shoddy workmanship and I would be seeking advice. First of all, contact the carpenter, if nothing happens there, I would be going further. Also try Consumer Associations. Failing that, your Solicitor will advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

My comments weren't aimed at the OP. I moved this thread from one of the fora I mod and then realised it should have gone to woodcraft. Hence the edit bit.

A bit of thought before you wade in would be nice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Done and done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Stairs construction should be glued and screwed and wedged where possible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Describing the maker of this staircase as a carpenter, is stretching the imagination too far. The concepts of proper stair manufacture are totally outside of this persons comprehension, who ever he is.

I would be demanding my money back, as there would be no economical way of salvaging this type of approach to stair manufacure, and giving you a product that you would be proud of. This picture alone shows that the landing tread is unsuitable due to its obvious splitting, which will get worse due to the installation methods of screws, and due to the house heating.

The support used is suitable for a shelf in a shed, not a landing tread. The lower portion of the newel is incorrectly fitted. Probably constructed outside of standard regulations in relation to stair angle, and widths between balustrades.

I hope you did not pay too much for this. I would be interested in seeing more pics of the overall stairs. My advice is to get a survey from a professional, and then persue the options available.

Speaking as a master joiner, I have never seen stair methods that compare to that. I know that picture is taken from below, so maybe the top is better.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 wornout

hi
    thanks for all your advice,from what i have heard these stairs are not acceptable as i thought myself.i paid 2500 grand for this,more fool me.i cannot say who did this work but on his website he has photos of really nice stairs obviously not built by him!it just goes to show you should'nt believe everything you see on the internet.you live and learn. i have decided to look for a qualified joiner to remove his abomination from my home and make a new staircase for me.correct me if i am wrong but it is a joiner i am looking for not a carpenter?

thanks again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

A joiner is what you are looking for , definitely not a carpenter. Personally I would be inclined to try to get my money back, and I would definitely seek a legal opinion. I understand that it would be unfair to name him. Shame you have to pay again

Kadman

Advertisement