Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise please

Options
  • 09-05-2007 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

My brother in law nearly bought a Audi A4 Avant today. It's advertised on one of the bigger car website. A private sale. The only thing was its a Uk car. I advised him to get it checked. The car looked fab and he could just see himself driving the thing. I got the details from the documents and rang HPI. It ends up the 02 Audi A4 advant was a category C write off. It also had a milage issue. The clock reads 57,000miles. HPI say it had 77,000 miles on it 3 years ago. I can put the link up to the car but I'd rather get an ok from a moderator first.

The thing is now that I know this information. Am I obliged to inform the magazine/webiste and the Guards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

personally, id contact the website. Not sure about the guards, as its a Uk car. Glad to hear ya checked with HPI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Fair play to ya. Name and shame (so long as the mods give the all clear)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Autotrader will know how to proceed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I just think that if you seen the car you'd be shocked to know that its a write off. Its looks so perfect.

bbability wrote:
    I just think that if you seen the car you'd be shocked to know that its a write off. Its looks so perfect.
    It's what you can't see that I would be worried about.

• Advertisement

I seem to have misunderstood you based on the info you have shown me via PM. Most certainly go to the Gardai. It makes no difference that it's a UK car. Don't bother with Autotrader, they will most likely notify the seller. This would deny the Gardaí the opportunity to set up a sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This kind of thing is so common these days. These cars are sold off cheap at auction for the above reasons and then sold on to the unsuspecting Irish public who generally don't know what a HPI check is. I know of one person who is currently having legal proceedings against a trader who sold him a similar car which had a very colourful history. Unfortunately he found this out after buying the car.

Getting a HPI check on a UK import is the best money you could ever spend.

Plenty of good honest used cars in the UK but you really are better off doing your homework and going over yourself and finding one. A bit more initial hassel but works out better in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fair play for doing the HPI check. But what was your brother thinking, buying a foreign plated car in a private sale in this country?

That is, I was presuming it's the Ice Blue one in Donegal with 3788 as part of the mobile number? If not, PM me the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

FairPlay to you for doing your homework on it. It does happen a lot now a days. Too many so called "decent private sellers" out there.

The Guards were informed last night. Don't know if there is much they can do. I'm suprised the Autotrader have not removed it from the list. And its not in Donegal. Its in Carlow.

I don't want to make the link public unless I'm allowed by the mods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bbability wrote:
    I don't want to make the link public unless I'm allowed by the mods

Thanks for PM'ing me the link. Is there any way you can show us the HPI results? If so, I have no problem in you making the link public. In fact, I'd encourage you to do so :)

Perhaps an idea to save the webpage, in case autotrader take it down

Yes that's a good idea. I'll edit the HPI form and remove a few personal details from it and send it on to you. Probably won't be until tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

I looked at the same car - but didn't go to see it cause I want a Diesel engine...

It does look fab in the pic...

One thing though.
    bazz26 wrote:
    This kind of thing is so common these days. These cars are sold off cheap at auction for the above reasons and then sold on to the unsuspecting Irish public who generally don't know what a HPI check is. I know of one person who is currently having legal proceedings against a trader who sold him a similar car which had a very colourful history. Unfortunately he found this out after buying the car.

If i buy a used Irish reg car (NOT UK plates when I buy it), who do I know that it wasn't imported at some stage? And if it was (how doi I know) - should I stay clear or in case the seller has the original HPI check go with it? Its my first used car purchase so, not too familiar with the process.

Quite simple if its a Audi or VW. I've done it myself. Ring a dealer in the uk give them the chassias number and they will tell you whether it was sold in the UK

Cartell.ie will tell you if it's a grey import. Any luck with the Gardai?

I'd say they have a 'craic' team on it as I type. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

If i buy a used Irish reg car (NOT UK plates when I buy it), who do I know that it wasn't imported at some stage?

That much anyway will be printed in the registration cert. The original reg will be in one of the blocks of information on the inside of it, so you'll be able to tell fairly handy before you sign the cert for change of ownership...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

I did a quick search and came up with this
    Cat C writeoff
    The car has been involved in an accident and deemed un-economical to repair by the insurance company. The owner then buys back the car off the insurance company and repairs it, re-registers it and sells it on. All Perfeclty legal

based on that the above is correct.How is he doing something illegal ?

or am i missing a point here ???:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

No your not missing anything but just no reading the enitre post...
    the poster says the car is advertised as 55,000miles when HPI have verified it as having 77,000miles - 22,000 miles have vanished.
    Also the car should be advertised as crashed-repaired.....

neacy69 wrote:
    No your not missing anything but just no reading the enitre post...
    the poster says the car is advertised as 55,000miles when HPI have verified it as having 77,000miles - 22,000 miles have vanished.
    Also the car should be advertised as crashed-repaired.....

Yes you have a point there. False advertising. someone looking for easy money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Yes you have a point there. False advertising. someone looking for easy money

false advertising and someone selling a clocked car which is illegal

neacy69 wrote:
    false advertising and someone selling a clocked car which is illegal

I am learning thanks for this all help.
    Yes that will be serious crime changing the milage.

But if you buy any of these cars is it illegal to drive a clocked car ?

Advertisement