Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boot floor welding - Do it or scrap it??

Options
  • 09-05-2007 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Need a bit of advice here:

Recently got a 97 Volvo V40 (clean external body) for free:)

However, it needs work. 135k miles, but the engine appears very sound, no oil or water leaks, overheating, etc.., TB done 20k miles ago, and it drives well.
    Needs a battery, 4 tyres, gear linkage bushes, and there is a slight rattle from the exhaust (hoping the cat has not gone west - hav'nt had a chance to get underneath the car for a good poke yet).

However, here comes the crunch question. The boot floor where the spare wheel resides is rotten, where it looks like water or some other liquid has been lying for some time. The metal has got very thin, and is holed in a few places. Very definite NCT failure. Anyone got any idea how much something like this would cost to replace?? Can a new boot floor panel (the well section) be sourced? Or what other alternatives are available?

The rest of the body (from what I can see so far) is sound and original.
    What does the rest of ye think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'm sure you would get a boot floor for very little in a scrap yard, and get somebody you know with a welder or even pay somebody to do it. I'd guess you'd get it all in for under €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Mloc, yes, thats what I'd be hoping for too. I rang round a few places today though, and unfortunately can't source a scrapped one. Maybe I should start a new thread - Anyone know of a scrapped V40 anywhere!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Putting a boot floor in youself is tricky (From experence), best bet is to weld plates onto the rotted parts, and put sound deading pads where the wheel sits and underneath the floor, body shlultz it.

-VB-

Advertisement