Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo or not Turbo? (apologies to Shakespeare!)

Options
  • 09-05-2007 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all. We have been looking at a few vans around the 1992/3 age group, like the Hymer 56 and similar. Would you consider a turbo diesel to be an essential for this age/type of van or will it make little difference? Your advise and experience much appreciated...:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I take it you're talking about the Fiat Ducato as a base vehicle?

Here is my (personal) opinion (from the "Ducato thread")
    1.9 TD
    A fine little engine with good pulling power (81 bhp) and a fairly long life expectancy ...in a Talento or Scudo or any "lesser" vehicle.
    In a Ducato with a big shed on the back it will mostly have been stressed within an inch of is life for most of its life and needs to be inspected thoroughly before buying.

2.5 Diesel
    Not a "mover and shaker" with only 75 bhp, but it keeps on going. Engines with 300.000 - 400.000 km are quite common in commercial circles. Very reliable, cheap to service and maintain ...a fine engine if you're not in a hurry.

2.4 TD
    This is the one to go for ...if you can get it. Direct injection engine with 92 bhp. Not faster in top speed than the 75 bhp ...but a lot quicker getting there and pulls like a train up hills and out of bends.
    Also pretty basic, easy to maintain and service.

There would also be the 2.5l / 95 bhp turbo (I believe from 94 on ...not sure) that's equally as good as the 2.4

I drove a 2.5 / 75 bhp all the way from Germany (and back again ...long story) and it's a good enough engine on the motorway also pulls quite strongly up hills. It DOES take a while to get going though.

None of the early 90's engines are as fast as today's and 100 km/h max should be your top speed of choice. They do go faster, if hammered, but that isn't good for the engine, nor for your ears.

The 2.4 / 92 bhp turbo that I drive now is not faster than the other diesel ...but it pulls a lot better. That's where I believe the big advantage lies. Not so much on the motorway (100 km/h is just slow ...turbo or no turbo :D ) but on twisty country roads. With a big motorhome you will find that you will have to slow down a lot more than with a car. Bends do have to be negotiated rather than just taken. With a turbo, after you're done you just step on it and you're up to speed again ...the n/a engine will probably not be finished yet accelerating again when the next bend appears ...so overall the turbo is just that bit quicker and less frustrating to drive.

Unless ...

you've got lots of time, sit back and enjoy the scenery and be safe in the knowledge that your camper was a good bit cheaper because it didn't have a turbo and it will probably go forever because it hasn't got a turbo that will only break eventually :D:D:D

Advertisement