Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buyandsell.ie (Motors)

Options
  • 09-05-2007 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭

I've been posting free ads online via buyandsell for some time now, and post my latest experience out of curiosity as to whether anyone else has a similiar experience:

(Mods, if you see this as being on shaky ground, or more suitable for elsewhere, just let me know.)

The ads submitted online are subject to proof-reading before they appear online, or in the publication itself. That's fair enough, for obvious reasons, even though the process may take a few days (which is stated when the ad is submitted).

For a free ad, you are allowed a certain number of characters, and should you need to say more, you are obliged to pay a fee. Again, fair enough.

This has been the case for some time, and I've never had a problem. However, I posted an ad this week for a car I'm selling, and noticed, first when submitting, that the contact telephone number/email was counted in the character limit, but then disappeared when the ad was submitted for approval! In other words, if you have a rather long email, you can drop up to 20 characters out of your quota that you could be using to tell everybody how wonderful your car is :D. So be it, if that's the case, but it seems a little underhand.

Anyway.

My ad was approved and up on the site today. I was dismayed to note that it had been stripped of what little I tried to compress into the character quota. Despite nothing of relevance in the terms and conditions, a link to adverts.ie had been removed (again semi-understandable-given that they are "competitors" but why not say so?) as was the phrase "No Hawkers". (Anyone who has posted a car for sale on b+s before will know why that term is particularly important).

I await the calls from car website pimps with relish :(

Has this happened to anybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Last car I sold was up on adverts.ie (free), carzone.ie (about €20 iirc) and buyandsell.ie (about €10 iirc)

Note that I paid for the buyandsell ad. This meant that my ad was allowed to be much longer than the standard free one. Also I was allowed to upload pictures

At the time adverts.ie was still in its infancy. I got most calls from the carzone.ie ad, but the call that sold the car was from buyandsell

I would never use terms like "no hawkers", "no time wasters", etc. as they will not prevent what you hope they will prevent imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I think on that note, I'll speculate the 20 quid (on Carzone). It's worth noting that throwing a tenner at b+s would alleviate all my complaints regarding their site!

Adverts seems to have a good bit of traffic, but Carzone, being specifically based around the trade seems a good prospect.

Thanks Unkel, nice to get some feedback from others on selling online.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Carzone is €30 afaik but the ad can stay up there until the car is sold. Good value imo and a wide audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    At the time adverts.ie was still in its infancy. I got most calls from the carzone.ie ad, but the call that sold the car was from buyandsell

I would never use terms like "no hawkers", "no time wasters", etc. as they will not prevent what you hope they will prevent imho

Using carzone.ie or buy&sell may really depend on the type of car your selling and what price bracket it falls into. My opinion is that most people searching buy&sell are generally looking for cheapish cars probably well under €10k. Most people looking on carzone.ie are probably looking at spending more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mike07

Just sold a month ago
    Ad was on Carzone-- 3 respomses, adverts-- 2 responses and b&s 1 response and sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

bazz26 wrote:
    Using carzone.ie or buy&sell may really depend on the type of car your selling and what price bracket it falls into. My opinion is that most people searching buy&sell are generally looking for cheapish cars probably well under €10k. Most people looking on carzone.ie are probably looking at spending more.

Agreed. Putting a €40k car in buyandsell is probably pointless. Then again, I guess the higher the value of the car, the less likely it will be sold in a private sale. I'd love to see some stats on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

bazz26 wrote:

Agreed. I recently placed an ad in the B&S for a cheapy toyota starlet (much wanted car anyway), and I was swamped with phone calls. Car sold for 95% of asking price within 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Buy&Sell indeed is a very good paper for bargain hunters.
    The website I have to say is not up to scratch. I had a similar issue with number of letters you can put in and is very frustrating indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

unkel wrote:

I have to disagree here, based on my experience.

I have advertised about 6 or 7 cars over the last 10 years or so, in buy and sell, and more recently in both buy and sell and carzone.
    I used to get alot of calls from people trying to sell me advertising etc, but in the most recent ads (last 3 or 4), i have included the text "No Advertisers Please", and it has been 100% sucessful.

Advertisement