Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which hard drive can I buy?

Options
  • 09-05-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I purchased a Compaq Presario r3000 on eBay a few months back. All was going great until one day it just crashed when I turned it back on I was asked for the "Drive Lock Password" which I don't have.
    Anyway having spent ages trying to crack the BIOS and various other stuff I gave up and decided to buy a new hard drive. Only problem is I don't know what kind of hard drive is compatible with my laptop?
    I'm fairly proficient with computers (nearly finished my 4th year of Information Systems in Uni) but I'm completely unfamiliar with hard drive spec's.
    I know the drive has to be 2.5" but thats about it.

Basically what I want to know is what drives are compatible with my Presario...
    Would a 100gb 5400rpm work? or a 120gb 5400rpm etc.

The laptop:
    Compaq Presario r3000
    1.8 GHz AMD Athlon 64
    1.25GB RAM
    Current (broken) hard drive : Hitachi 60gb 4200rpm 2.5"

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MjM

I know I'm being a bit lazy here but you should check out the Compaq user forums here:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1077828
    It can't be accessed by Windows XP Pro, can't be copy/image by Norton Ghost 2003. BUT I found a solution, works, helps a lots of people had the same problem:

this is the link for the software and instruction:
    http://www.rockbox.org/lock.html
    http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/
    Just follow the instructions, it will clean up the DriveLock password AND all Windows password, COMS password.

I fixed an ancient creaky Compaq Armada with these guys help, have a look around and you might find your exact problem. I only had a quick look but you've got nothing to lose anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

Thanks but I've already tried that! & have been around that forum more than once. I'm not looking to fix the drive just replace it. It was only a small drive anyway with not much stuff on it. I was gona replace it sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Any 2.5'' ATA-100 drive will do. Try to get at least 5400rpm (that's what I use in my Presario R4000, a Seagate Momentus 80GB), but 7200rpm would be the best.

Instructions for replacing the drive are here, just in case you're not familiar with it. :)

Edit: HDD's on komplett.ie here, elara's offerings are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

Just bought a Western Digital Scorpio 120GB 5400rpm Internal Ultra ATA hard drive on eBay brand new with warranty for the bargain price of €38!
    Read a couple of reviews for the hard drive all seems promising.
    Thanks guys. :D

Advertisement