Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very slow Laptop

Options
  • 09-05-2007 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

My laptop is getting sluggish (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo about 2.5 years old). There are about 50 processes listed on the Windows Task Manager - is this too much ?.. And how do I know whats what?..

I have deleted all temporary files, defragmented the laptop - which is about as much as I know ....

I would be grateful for any advice anyone could give on what I should do - thank you.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

What spec is the laptop? And a spyware/antivirus scan might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Its an Amilo L1300, XP....Celeron M ...:confused:

I've got AVG Antivirus and Zonealarm already loaded....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 McPedro

justagirl wrote:
    My laptop is getting sluggish (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo about 2.5 years old). There are about 50 processes listed on the Windows Task Manager - is this too much ?.. And how do I know whats what?..

I have deleted all temporary files, defragmented the laptop - which is about as much as I know ....

I would be grateful for any advice anyone could give on what I should do - thank you.:)

Open the views tab in task manager and turn on 'VM(virtual memory) usage and see if any processes are hogging system memory, cpu time and VM size.
    If all that looks normal your problem could be the cpu on its way out. The best way to check would be to benchmark your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Txs so much. - Apologies, I'm a bit out of touch with this kind of thing.....

I've opened Task Manager.... I've no tab that says view...(i've applications/processes/performance/networking/users).....? There the menu bar that says 'view' ....

looking at the 'processes" list -
    iexplore.exe is usig 69,768k
    selectrebates is using 14,680k
    vsmon.exe is using 19,760k
    explorer.exe is using 28,184k
    svchost.exe is using 27,716k

and lots of other in 2-5k mark....

Also, I've no idea what you mean by benchmarking my laptop???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Take a look here to find out if a process is safe or not.

Also, are there any startup programs that may be hogging resources?

• Advertisement
Advertisement