Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noxious weed control

Options
  • 09-05-2007 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭

A week or so ago I was visiting a Garda station where there was a prominant poster on the wall telling land owners that they were responsible for the control of noxious weeds (e.g ragworth, thistle, dock, etc) on their property.

See act http://acts.oireachtas.ie/zza38y1936.1.html

As per Dept of Agriculture web site ...
    On 4 May, 2007 MINISTER COUGHLAN REMINDS OCCUPIERS AND OWNERS OF LAND OF THEIR OBLIGATION TO CONTROL NOXIOUS WEEDS
    For the second year running, the Minister for Agriculture and Food, Mary Coughlan, today reminded all owners and occupiers of land of their responsibility, under the Noxious Weeds Act, to control the spread of noxious weeds. The principal weeds that must be controlled under the Act are ragwort, thistle, dock and wild oat.
    She noted that the Act provides for penalties for convicted offenders and said the control of noxious weeds is a cross-compliance requirement for the Single Farm Payment under the Good Agricultural and Environmental Condition. Failure to comply with this condition may result in a reduction in the Single Farm Payment.

The other day driving along the infamous M50 I noticed how large stretches now have what appears to be a beautiful flowering crop of ragworth.

How come the county councils or NRA are not responsible for clearing these weeds and do Garda ever charge local authorities for infringements of the laws of the land?

The other question I have is, how do you dispose of these weeds?
    Previously on a farm they could have ultimately have been burned but now because of our clampdown on that practice are landowners expected to compost them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jmayo wrote:
    The other day driving along the infamous M50 I noticed how large stretches now have what appears to be a beautiful flowering crop of ragworth.

How come the county councils or NRA are not responsible for clearing these weeds and do Garda ever charge local authorities for infringements of the laws of the land?
    Probably not. I suppose they could argue that it is unlikely that cattle will be grazing or that silage will be made along the M50. :eek:

God be with the days when a village Garda spent half his day checking fields for noxious weeds!
    jmayo wrote:
    The other question I have is, how do you dispose of these weeds?
    Previously on a farm they could have ultimately have been burned but now because of our clampdown on that practice are landowners expected to compost them?
    I think most landowners 'top' them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

On a related note- whats with the vast expanses of oilseed rape on the N7? You could almost go into biofuel production......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Doesn't it look bad if the local authorities can't be bothered clenaing up the weeds.
    How can one arm of state go to farmer and chastise him for not doing what another arm of state can't be ars*d doing?

Regarding topping, years growing up one of my duties during late in year Easter holidays was to cut rushes, rake them up and then burn them.
    Nowadays are you meant to compost them since it seems you are not meant to burn anything unless of course you have a chimney?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smccarrick wrote:
    On a related note- whats with the vast expanses of oilseed rape on the N7? You could almost go into biofuel production......
    I always presumed it was from blown seeds. Wheat/barley can also be seen but are obviously not as conspicuous as rape.

Advertisement