Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stamp duty

Options
  • 09-05-2007 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. recently broke up with the gf and looking to buy her out of the house. we are both 1st time buyers but does this mean i need to pay stamp duty because of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Your buying her share of the house not a 2nd house so i dont think you should have to pay stamp duty. Just bought a house with the GF so i'd like to know this for certain if things go pear shaped!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

ye im not sure myself but solicitor rang and said they would get back to me on weather i need to pay or not. i hope to god i dont

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

not legal advise and wait for your solicitor to get back to you, but i'd think that you might have to....here, this is from revenue website

Who is a first time buyer?

"A first time buyer is a person, (or, where there is more than one buyer, each of such persons):

* who has not on any previous occasion, either individually or jointly, purchased or built on his/her own behalf a house (in Ireland or abroad) and

* where the property purchased is occupied by the purchaser, or a person on his behalf, as his/her only or principal place of residence and

* where no rent, other than rent under the rent-a-room-scheme, is derived from the property for five years after the date of the current purchase."

I think you have already 'used up' your time as a first time buyer in buying a part of a dwelling...

Hope I'm wrong, obv...

well they got back to me and said they are 99% sure i dont have to but that 1% is bothering them. i need to pay 5400 up front for the stamp duty just in case its asked for. surely i can ring someone and ask for sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Migser

I would be nearly 99% certain that you do have to pay stamp duty.

the way it's calculated is that the take the Market value of the house your buying, and that determines the rate, they then calculate the stamp duty and reduce it accordingly to the % of the house your buying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I know someone who did similar. Basically the Revenue make the decision if you have to pay when they get the paperwork. Most times, you don't have to pay, but sometimes they do make you. I think the technical reasons are along the line that you are actually buying the house (from your gf) so you're not a first time buyer any more.

Go with what your solicitor says.

i wud if i had the extra cash

anyone else been threw this

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

maybe Im reading this wrong, but if you own the gaff with her - then how are you a first time buyer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement