Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing car from UK, personalised Reg..

Options
  • 09-05-2007 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I hope to buy a car in the North and import into Ireland. The car I’m buying has a personalised reg and seeing that I have no use for it here as the car will be re-registered, the dealer has decided to keep the reg and sell it on and give me a discount.

My question is, does anyone know if this presents any problems when paying the VRT (The fact that the reg is being sold on)

Thanks,
    Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Mac 3 wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

I hope to buy a car in the North and import into Ireland. The car I’m buying has a personalised reg and seeing that I have no use for it here as the car will be re-registered, the dealer has decided to keep the reg and sell it on and give me a discount.

My question is, does anyone know if this presents any problems when paying the VRT (The fact that the reg is being sold on)

Thanks,
    Mac
    No.If he is holding the old reg on retention a new UK reg will automatical be issued,the paperwork may take a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I agree with hi5, you just won't be able to re-register it here for a few weeks until you receive the new paperwork with the new registration number.
    They just put the original registration number back on the car (before the private plate was put on).
    You'll have the number on a regplate on the car to drive away, but the papers will follow a few weeks later when the DVLA have performed the changeover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

If the reg is worth abit of money then it might be worth holding on afew weeks if not then just get it vrt'ed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

So if the DVLA (NI) are holding the V5 document, how do you go about registering the car with the vro within 24 hours of importation without it? I thought the VRO only except the full V5 document, which you wont have for a few weeks?
    OP you should check this with the NI dealer and VRO here first.

Advertisement