Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a laptop in the US

Options
  • 08-05-2007 9:26pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My laptop is starting to show it's age (at 18 months, but I guess that's Dell for you). I'm going to be in California for the summer, near San José and Silicon Valley and someone suggested that I buy a new one there. Would it be much cheaper? Or would I be as well off waiting until I get back to the UK?

Also, what are the best brands for medium use laptops (ie. using it for college, watching DVDs, emailing, usual internet stuff, doesn't get brought out of the house very often, no major technical things done on it). I'm sick of Dell at this stage and would prefer something a bit more reliable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Faith wrote:
    Would it be much cheaper? Or would I be as well off waiting until I get back to the UK?

Yes, it would be cheaper, without question.

But, and it's a big but, what if something goes wrong? You need to be crystal clear about what support you are buying. Will the warranty cover you when you get back to the UK? What if you have to send it for repair? Will you have to send it back to the US, or will you be able to send it somewhere local.

Other than that, I would say go for it. I bought my first laptop in the US and still have it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cheers Tom. So, would I be better off heading straight to the source in San José or trying to find a big PC World-style place in San Francisco? I realise you probably wouldn't know to answer to that, but it's worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

PC World in America = Comp USA and Best Buy. Try online as well.

99.99% of laptops come with adapters that will auto switch between US and Euorpean power ratings, but check it out to be sure (110 ~ 220). Also make sure you get the forms to clain the sales tax back as you are buying it for export.

Not sure if you will get stung on the way back, don't bring it back in a sealed boc and you might get away with it.

I know in Shannon Airport there are days when no custom officers are on duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Faith wrote:
    Cheers Tom. So, would I be better off heading straight to the source in San José or trying to find a big PC World-style place in San Francisco? I realise you probably wouldn't know to answer to that, but it's worth a shot!

What do you mean I wouldn't know the answer to that? :D

I lived in the US for a while, some I am quite au fait with the whole purchasing technology over yonder. Try Fry's - it's geek heaven. A massive warehouse full of all types of technology, including laptops.

Also, as wingnut says, CompUSA and Best Buy, though I did find the latter that bit more expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I meant for the specific cities!

Wingnut, I'd say customs will be fine. I'll be there for 3 months, so they'll expect me to have a laptop on me anyway! I'll get it unpacked before I leave :).

I will try those places, thanks guys! I'm getting quite excited about it now, although I'll have to leave it to just days before I come home so it doesn't get accidentally destroyed by my housemates over there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement