Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Book Value

Options
  • 08-05-2007 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Is it possible to purchase or see the 'book value' of cars online? Similar to the little book the car salesman uses when he says your car is in fact worth half of what you thought :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Overlord wrote:
    Is it possible to purchase or see the 'book value' of cars online? Similar to the little book the car salesman uses when he says your car is in fact worth half of what you thought :)

Nothing available to the general public or anybody outside of the motor trade afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yup, confidential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

colm_mcm wrote:
    yup, confidential.

Serious ? Are garages scared the public will know how much they are getting screwed on trade ins ? :D

I started a thread last week to see if there would be any intrest in a "how much is my car worth" sticky, using people in the know, but if noone from the trade would/could contribute..............maybe thats why it died on its ar$e........ LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The revenue VRT website may be the closest thing Joe Public can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Bond-007 wrote:
    The revenue VRT website may be the closest thing Joe Public can use.

I have found that to be way under resale value, realistic resale at that, not carzone value..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you can sign up to the merlin car auctions snapshot... these generally tell you how much a car is actually worth in the trade because it's what they pay for them. I have loads of them here, but here's a few samples for you

http://www.mediafire.com/?1eumdi2mzmz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

PM me your car details and I'll get the value for you. Must be less than 7 years old though.

P
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Just bear in mind the book value isn't a true representation here like it is in the UK. Individual dealers here are consulted by the Guide Book people, and they set the values. Consequently, for things like Alfa 156's, the book is wildly optimistic, and for other marques, a tad pessimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

oleras wrote:
    I have found that to be way under resale value, realistic resale at that, not carzone value..... :rolleyes:

You'd think that they would have a higher resale value there, so they could collect more tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

eoin_s wrote:
    You'd think that they would have a higher resale value there, so they could collect more tax?

Ssssshhh - keep that quiet !!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement