Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bog oak again

Options
  • 08-05-2007 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭

On the subject of bog oak, I have a largish piece roughly 2'x2'x1', I rather like it, its quite knobbly and holey, 'branchy', but it would be nice to have it smoothed and polished to show off the grain. It is very rough at the moment and I know it would be a lot smaller if I smoothed it, but how do I approach the job. Is it feasible to do it? I have diy tools, nothing very special, would anyone have any suggestions on how to have a go at it - or should I leave it alone! I have visions of going at it with a spokeshave type implement, or would it be more a power-tool job? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

hmmm, when you said ' smoothed and polished to show off the grain' it reminded me of an article I read recently. The guy had split out a load of curly redwood with a froe and he needed to smoothen the pieces without 'deadening' them so he used a an x-acto knife ( craft knife ) to cut out any loose bits. He then burnished it by running a stiff bristle brush head in a drill press over the wood. It came up really well. I suppose you could use a cordless drill and make up some sort of bristle brush head for it.

I think a Dremel tool ( or one of the generic copies ) could prove useful to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

purchased this about 8 years ago from Ronnie Graham

I think he used linsead oil as I had to waite a few months as he was putting the final few coats on

I still see new things on it everyday....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Love that piece Garyh3, tho I have no illusions about achieving something as interesting. Yes, I had wondered about putting a wire brush onto a drill, I suppose I could try an inconsipicuous bit and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boru666

Hi Guys,

I was wondering how to get my hands on some bog oak. Is their a place you can buy it untouched or is it a thing of you have to know someone? I would be grateful of any help.

Kind Regards,
    Boru :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I don't know for sure,but I used to deliver to bord na mona (head office) in Kildare a few years back and they had several pieces on display from their own bogs. If anyone could get it I'd guess they could.

• Advertisement
Advertisement